What's new

Jailbroken iPhone 4 vs jailbroken Droid Incredible

mpetruzz

Reaction score
I have a droid incredible now and am strongly considering ditching it in favor of the Verizon iphone. I had a 3gs and loved it, but ATT sucks in my area so I had to ditch it.

Anyways, I've rooted the Droid and it has opened up quite a bit of great things that I can now do with my phone. I def plan on jailbreaking my iphone, if i get it, and was trying to compare both devices and the options available after jailbreaking.

Here is what I am mainly looking for:

1) Can I install themes on the iphone to change the look and feel; font, notification bar etc

2)widgets on lockscreen for text popups, ipod controls etc. what other things can I add to the lockscreen?

3)some type of map app similar to google maps. Could I install google maps on the iphone once it's jailbroken

4)any other cool things that I can do i may not have mentioned

I guess I'm just trying to find out the main things jailbreaking an iphone will allow me to do.

Thanks!!!

1, yes its in cydia and probably elsewhere but ive never done this

2, pretty sure there are apps to do this, i know theres one you can use for ipod, its never bothered me as i turn off the 'show text' switch as there could be some very racy texts from the mrs on there!! i only list to ipod in the car and have it in it's holder so not sure why you may need it.

3, iphone comes with maps, which is google maps, i also have google earth, tom tom and co pilot on mine. there are others available but for my part of the world these do me very well

4 hd games and online play/local wifi play is a favouriteof mine atm. this doesnt req J/B but its my hot topic. when you jailbreak it removes alot of restictions as to what you can install or better put where you can install from. i.e if you have an app you want to install thats not made it to appstore then you can install it.

Thanks! The one thing I have now is a text app that has a popup on the lockscreen so I can reply without having to unlock the phone.

Good to hear about the google app too, not that I use it much. But it's nice to know it's an option.

How would I go about finding what apps are available to download that aren't approved? Is there a website with a listing or is it in cydia?

Iphone by far, there is no contest between a jailbroken iphone4 than a jailbroken droid

Iphone by far, there is no contest between a jailbroken iphone4 than a jailbroken droid

just to make it short & sweet, this.

iPhones are popular for their jailbreaks & the App Store

Can you guys go into more detail and comparisons? Just saying "iPhone by far" isn't very helpful for someone trying to decide (such as the OP, and myself, haha).

Can you guys go into more detail and comparisons? Just saying "iPhone by far" isn't very helpful for someone trying to decide (such as the OP, and myself, haha).

I agree, saying the iphone is better by far doesn't really help me. I appreciate the responses, but would like to get more detailed info. What are some apps or other ways a jailbroken iphone is better than my droid.

I think that you will be able to find just about anything you need to run on your iPhone that is on the incredible. The only real issue it that most apps on the incredible are free and this is not the case on the iPhone. I currently have an iPhone but have had an incredible and loved it except for the multiple blown speakers. I think the main thing that you will miss are the ROMs that are on the incredible, especially the one thats a hybrid between the EVO and incredible. Other than that, there are tons of apps on cydia that will do just about anything you want them to do.

Thanks, that's basically what I was trying to understand. I remember from when I had the 3gs for a few months that the volume of apps available puts the android market to shame!!

The custom roms are nice, but to be honest I spent more time installing roms than I did using the darn phone!!

I just found out that I have an upgrade on my plan that I can use to buy the verizon iphone so I think I'm going to keep my Droid Incredible. That way i can use both depending on what I want to do.

Check out the guides and forums at Modmyi.com. All your questions and how-to's regarding installing themes, changing fonts/icons can be answered there.