What's new

Jailbreaking - is it worthly?

dDrAcO

Reaction score
Hi All. I was playing a little bit with JB iphone 4. For me the device was slower and unstable. But I loved some options given.
Still, please let me know your experience, is it worth to mess up the original system? Now I have iP5 and I am waiting for new JB release... with worries. Thanks!

dDrAcO; Sent from my iPad using iPF.net

On the iPhone 5, IMO, I don't think jailbreaking will slow it down as much or even at all. Remember that the iPhone 5 has a 1.3GHz dual core A6 processor that automatically overclocks itself. But remember that slowing down the iPhone means that there's something that's processor or RAM intensive running like Dreamboard or a heavily tweaked Winterboard theme, but those aside, anything that latches on the system files will potentially slow down your iPhone as well. It's all down to how you tweak it and tweaking your iPhone in a smarter way :)

Yeah ive asked this question my self a hundred times, last few months hardly got to use my phone cuz I kept jbing and then restoring.

All in all, i just keep it to a minimum.

I got cydia
Ifile
Game boy emulator
Pdanet

And that's it, also Deleted extra sources and uninstalled mobile substrate.

I'm on 3GS

Usually my boot time is 30secs

With jb now it's about 1min, but I don't notice any slow downs anywhere else.

A tip, don't mess with the hosts file, endure the ads!

On pc you can just use adblocker with firefox

Also don't recommend changing clock speeds

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
I would highly advise on reinstalling MobileSubstrate. If God forbid your iPhone messes up because of a bad tweak, without MobileSubstrate, you can't go into safe mode, which is the difference sometimes between having to update to the latest firmware since you don't have blobs to re-install, or being able to get back into your iPhone. That is one of the cores that you have to have on a jailbroken iPhone to troubleshoot.

Thanks guys. I do not mess too mu h with system itself. But some apps are doing it, and I am not profficient enough which is safe or not. I just use google to finf recommendations. Thing is that with my last JB on iP4 i had to restart system at least 3 times a day. With or without using the phone. I like to JB but I also like to have working machine :)

To fully take advantage of a jailbreak, I personally would recommend at least understanding bits and pieces of the user level of it and how it works, as well as some of the behind-the-scenes things that happen when you do this or that. That way, you'll know at least the gist of what goes on sometimes and you might even have an easier time troubleshooting any problems you might have :)

I love my jailbreak, I don't like the phone without it, it's never slow and never crashes or needs to be restarted, you just have to make sure the things you install are compatible with your os

Sent from my iPhone using iPF.net

I love my jailbreak, I don't like the phone without it, it's never slow and never crashes or needs to be restarted, you just have to make sure the things you install are compatible with your os

Sent from my iPhone using iPF.net

Most ppl install all kinds of tweaks and themes and than complain about their phone crashing or running slowing.

It's what you add to your phone that causes the problem. Some tweaks may cause a conflict with another tweak to make your idevice crash or have other issues.

Via Tapatalk

Most ppl install all kinds of tweaks and themes and than complain about their phone crashing or running slowing.

It's what you add to your phone that causes the problem. Some tweaks may cause a conflict with another tweak to make your idevice crash or have other issues.
Absolutely!! The Jailbreak itself is never the culprit. Moreover, the tweaks and packages you install that can possibly miscommunicate w/ each other... that's what causes issues.

The biggest issue is tweaking it for aesthetics. A couple of my colleagues use Dreamboard on top of their own customization, and they complain that their iPhones and iPads are running slow. Right off the bat Dreamboard takes up a ton of your RAM and your processor to keep up, with or without the data widgets constantly fetching or not. If you tweak it even more to make it even more graphic intensive, naturally your iPhone or iPad will compensate by slowing down because it has to dedicate all its resources to keeping it up to par.

The second biggest issue would be 'deterioration'. Every so often, there's always that one liiiitle hiccup that throws the app/tweak out of wack, but it still runs fine in appearance, but naturally it's getting and giving errors that the user doesn't see, and the iPhone has to constantly restart the tweak or app, which slows down your device. That's also why developers say "only for X device on Y iOS".