What's new

iTunes Wi-Fi Sync

i fix the problem , problem was the port was not open for Wireless Portable Devices in Windows Firewall now i can sync with just plug in to wall
Does that mean you can't WIFI sync if you are not plugged to the wall?
I guess if your battery is running low that's ok, but I can sync without having to plug anything, I just have to start iTunes and hit Sync Now on the phone.

Does that mean you can't WIFI sync if you are not plugged to the wall?
I guess if your battery is running low that's ok, but I can sync without having to plug anything, I just have to start iTunes and hit Sync Now on the phone.

No, you can force a WiFi sync when ever you want. But it happens automagically when you plug the phone in and it detects iTunes/iClouds being available on your WiFi network.

You have to have the box checked on the main page of iTunes. The main page should be there even though the phone is not hooked up.

Just found this forum and this thread helped me fix my Wi-Fi sync problems. awesome, thank you.

No, you can force a WiFi sync when ever you want. But it happens automagically when you plug the phone in and it detects iTunes/iClouds being available on your WiFi network.

My iTunes Wifi Sync states "Automatically sync with iTunes on your computer when your iPhone is plugged in to power and connected to wifi"

So, my question is what advantage is there to having sync over wifi, when you still have to use the darn cord?

I am evidently not "synced" correctly with my wifi... I will need to look at my router settings, but I am not sure I see the benefit if I still have to plug it in?????

And Bluesjam....what box is supposed to be checked on what main page?

I also had the same problem until I found the option in iTunes on my desktop, just click on Summary & scroll down to Options & then just tick the box that says Sync Wi-Fi & then you are ready move about freely without the need to ever sit in front of computer & wait ages got it to Sync!

Hello! That worked! I just wasn't scrolling down the page far enough. LOL!

So, I do wonder though, why they state on the sync page on the iPhone that it needs to be plugged in to power?

So, I do wonder though, why they state on the sync page on the iPhone that it needs to be plugged in to power?

I'll throw out a couple of theories since Apple hasn't stated anything publicly.

1) They are worried the batter will run out and corrupt the backup.

2) They figure that more than 50% of the time you won't be using the phone while charging.

3) They needed an event to trigger the backup and charging is just as good as say an arbitrary alarm clock.

Although Apple implies that it must remain plugged in throughout the operation, I unplugged mine during a sync and it completed without issue. Your experience may vary, so ignore Apple's advice at your own risk, or so I'm told.

It needs to be plugged in to power before it syncs automatically. You can initiate a wireless sync anytime you want to. One advantage would be for those who don't sync using the USB on their iTunes computer, but rather use the AC outlet adapter in a separate location. Personally, I use a tabletop base unit to charge.

My iTunes Wifi Sync states "Automatically sync with iTunes on your computer when your iPhone is plugged in to power and connected to wifi"
I understand what you are saying but I can sync my phone with WIFI without any plugged cable at all and it works fine.

Not sure if the question above was answered but the devices do not need to be plugged into a power source to sync. It will do it automatically when they are but you can always push the snuck now.

Question, I was testing it this weekend and bought a song on my iPhone and pressed sync wireless to transfer it to iTunes. The song transferred grayed out and will not play in iTunes but will on the phone. Any ideas? Tried wires sync as well.

I am an iPhone newbie and have never paid much attention to iTunes before, so I have somer really basic questions about wifi sync.
1. I have looked carefully in iTunes (obviously not carefully enough) and can find no "summary" anywhere. I've looked under preferences and devices. Where exactly is that setting? Does the device have to be connected by hardwire in order to see this?
2. I have both an iPad and a 4S. I am NOT interested in syncing all 3000 songs from my iTunes to my phone; on manual attachment I have it set to sync only one folder with my phone. How do I make sure that wifi syncing will not transfer more than I want?

Sorry to ask such basic questions....it's hard being a newbie at my age....

Last edited:
I have been running Lion since launch, so I don't know if there is an issue with Snow Leopard or not. But I would finally it highly unusual that Apple would make it work under only Lion.