What's new

Is there a way to block numbers NOT in contact list?

APX7000

Reaction score
It's been getting worse as the months pass. I get approx 1 telemarketer call a day now. I google each number and there's lots of people complaining about the same phone numbers-all telemarketers.

Is there a setting (or tweak for jailbroken iPhone) that will mute or completely block these unknown calls not in my contact list?

DND is not an option, as DND mutes text messages and I can't have that.

Any ideas guys?

I believe you can do this stock. Hit the i while in call history on the number, scroll down, hit 'block'.....
d8b7f91f81a69ea9a65d8536367aa18c.jpg

Once blocked, a number will not be able to call or text you. It till not show in the call history. From your point of view, you'll never even know if they try to call you.

I think what the OP means is that there are a lot of different numbers calling him, which means that blocking just one number wont help in the long run.

Am I right?

As has been said you can block these numbers, Once you block the numbers in Recents its just a matter of blocking them as they call you.
Eventually you will get less and less of these numbers, I used to get lots but after blocking I only get the odd one.

I think what the OP means is that there are a lot of different numbers calling him, which means that blocking just one number wont help in the long run.

Am I right?
Exactly. Every number is different. Some 800 numbers, others from just about every state in the USA.

I never answer these calls because many are the same telemarketers, or affiliated. Once they detect a valid number (by picking up and answering), it knows your phone # is valid and expect more calls.

However, if anyone has problems with just a few numbers, the blocking feature is beyond awesome!! Some old guy for whatever reason used my cell number for his medical contact number for his Doctor, Hospital, Clinics, Special testing, CVS, Walgreens, the list keeps going on.... I was getting 0-5 calls per day, all automated voice so I couldn't talk to an operator. Had to block 8 numbers. One call with a human slipped by, and I was able to let the receptionist know this is an emergency situation because this guy is using a wrong phone number and may be missing apts or drugs or tests, then spoke to her supervisor and explained this could be medical emergency so this situation needs to be corrected immediately. Side note, try getting a CVS or Walgreens perks card when someone else is using your phone number. You can't!

Could these telemarketers be political? Aren't political calls exempt from the do not call list?

Exactly. Every number is different. Some 800 numbers, others from just about every state in the USA.

I never answer these calls because many are the same telemarketers, or affiliated. Once they detect a valid number (by picking up and answering), it knows your phone # is valid and expect more calls.

However, if anyone has problems with just a few numbers, the blocking feature is beyond awesome!! Some old guy for whatever reason used my cell number for his medical contact number for his Doctor, Hospital, Clinics, Special testing, CVS, Walgreens, the list keeps going on.... I was getting 0-5 calls per day, all automated voice so I couldn't talk to an operator. Had to block 8 numbers. One call with a human slipped by, and I was able to let the receptionist know this is an emergency situation because this guy is using a wrong phone number and may be missing apts or drugs or tests, then spoke to her supervisor and explained this could be medical emergency so this situation needs to be corrected immediately. Side note, try getting a CVS or Walgreens perks card when someone else is using your phone number. You can't!

Could these telemarketers be political? Aren't political calls exempt from the do not call list?
I still don't get why you don't just block each and every number, I get that they are different numbers but if you block each and every one surely that will solve the problem, Once a number is blocked its blocked, Yes its tedious at first to go through them all but once done you then just block them as they come.

I still don't get why you don't just block each and every number, I get that they are different numbers but if you block each and every one surely that will solve the problem, Once a number is blocked its blocked, Yes its tedious at first to go through them all but once done you then just block them as they come.
The same number has never appeared more than once. If I don't pick up from the number calling, it never calls back.

Wonder if there is a limit to the amount of numbers you can block?

The same number has never appeared more than once. If I don't pick up from the number calling, it never calls back.

Wonder if there is a limit to the amount of numbers you can block?
I would block them in any case, Just block whatever comes, Hopefully they will get less over time.

As far as I know there is no limit.

The option to block a number in the messages app is missing in iOS 10 beta. You must first create a contact, then block it.

The option to block a number in the messages app is missing in iOS 10 beta. You must first create a contact, then block it.

Update:
This issue has been resolved in iOS 10 public beta 2.
Just tap the i in the upper right corner, then tap the number at the top, then scroll down to "Block this caller".