What's new

iPod 4G soft DFU mode (Error 1601) broken home button

DonaldKramer

Reaction score
Hey

redsn0w crashed as I wanted to go into the DFU mode. Now I'm in the soft DFU mode and I have a broken home button; is it possible to exit the soft DFU mode without a home button?

EDIT: I have iOS 6.1.3 and the error is 1601

Without a power/sleep button it's fairly easy, but without a home button, it's pretty difficult. See if any utilities can recognize the device and attempt to kick it out of soft DFU. Otherwise, you'd have to wait for the device to drain and hope that it boots back up in Recovery

Hm, ok... Tinyumbrella can recognize my iPod, but I can't do anything with it
But if it's in the soft DFU mode, does it even need battery? The screen is completely black as it's off

Even if the device is completely off, your battery will still drain out, just a matter of how long. Usually with issues like Soft DFU mode and broken buttons required to boot it out, you'd be better off taking the battery out for a little while, then putting it back in for the hardware to essentially "reset"

You'd have to remove the display assembly, then the aluminum housing as well as several other parts. The iPad and iPod Touch devices are one of the harder devices to take the battery out for since they're buried at the back housing of the device under everything. Your best bet would just be to drain it out completely by leaving it around for a few months to the point where it's truly 0%, meaning not a drop left, to the point where not even holding the power/sleep button will show the "no battery" flash

Without a power/sleep button it's fairly easy, but without a home button, it's pretty difficult. See if any utilities can recognize the device and attempt to kick it out of soft DFU. Otherwise, you'd have to wait for the device to drain and hope that it boots back up in Recovery

Having the same problem with a broken power button. Would you mind explaining how to easily kick it out of soft DFU mode?