What's new

iphone vs. ipad

Tym4myself

Reaction score
I have an iphone 4 but I've always wanted an ipad. They are so expensive though that hubby has dragged his feet on getting one. Now that I have the iphone it's like having an ipad, only smaller, lol. I need help in building my case for why having an ipad is still necessary. ;) For those that have both, what can you do with the ipad that you can't with the iphone and what are the differences between the two that make you glad you have both? (Aside from the obvious size difference)

Also, I have a nook (original, not the color) so I can't really argue for the e-reader...other than it is back lit.

Good questions, Tym.... I have 2 iPhone 4s, and they're great. But I also have a couple of desktop computers for normal, everyday Internet, email, and home-office applications. To me, an iPad would be "something in the middle" that really has no purpose, but "nice to have," at best.

The iPhone can do EVERYTHING the iPad can, and a bit more. It's all about screen size, but if you have desktop computers for your workhorses, the iPads are irrelevant, IMHO.

I have both devices. It's true there is no big difference besides size. I have laptops as well and I do not even touch them anymore except to update software. The iPad has replaced the pc for me. I use it both devices the same. my wife refuses to stop playing super dynamite fishing and she barely uses the laptops as well.

I have an iphone 4 and bought an ipad because I thought I'd like having a big screen better. And I did, to an extent. To make a long story short, I ended up selling it because I prefer my little iphone 4. Here's why

1. The ipad was too big. Who wants to walk around with a big slab? If you are settling in on the couch it's okay (but than so is a laptop) but when I was in the garage, the yard, sitting on the deck etc. I never had it and didn't feel like getting it. So what did I do? I pulled my iphone out of my pocket. And don't even ask about leaving the house. I felt like the Rainman who couldn't live without his big honkin' gadget. Just felt stupid carrying that thing around. Like a big 80's camcorder.

2. The iphone 4 screen resolution totally blows away the ipad. This only bugged me with Text. People with iphone4's get used to being able to cram lots of text on their screen and still see crystal clarity. On the ipad you have to zoom the text or else it is fuzzy.

3. I want only one gadget. This is just me but I don't like having BOTH an iphone and an ipad. I decided to choose one and the iphone was the keeper and the ipad went to ebay.

But having said all this. I liked the ipad better for reading e-mail. Not video's or books though. Why? Because I hated scrolling through the email. But books are easy with a tap and video's on the ipad are not any more enjoyable than the iphone.

I'm going to have the ultimate solution when the ipad 3 comes out. I'm buying one for my wife. That way I still only have ONE gadget, but there is an ipad in the house I can borrow when I want. The ipad2 with it's unchanged resolution was a major disappointment to me. So we skipped it.

I have the 3GS and the iPad 1 wifi only. I always thought that the iPad was just a big iPod, until I got one. Even if they are both using the same technologies, they are different in their usage.

- it's easier to read on the iPad one because of the size of the screen. Emails, books, articles, etc...
- the keyboard is also bigger, making it a lot easier to write stuff then the iPhone
- battery time is around 10 hours of full usage... Can't say that for my iPhone...
- when doing remote over a PC, it's far more easier to control the PC on the iPad than the iPhone
- while traveling, by plane or train, the iPad is really good for watching movies. Your personal mobile theater ;)
- it's lighter than a laptop, no booting time, no login in, can be used in landscape or portrait.
- it's more secure than a laptop, easier to use, no configuration to mess with...

The iPad is not an iPhone replacement, but almost a laptop replacement if you don't need specialized softwares or doing development. It's an appliance like the phone, the fridge or the tv. You use it for what it can do, and it can do a lot. I still like my iPhone, but now I use it more as... a phone. I like the fact that the iPhone can do the same thing as the iPad, but I still prefer the iPad for my virtual life.

Cons about the iPad...
- too big for taking pictures (iPad 2)
- too big for usage as an iPod or mp3 player
- still missing some apps found on the iPhone (but things are improving)
- exchanging media files, documents and so on with the iPhone is a bit messy without iTunes. Have to rely on third parties. But iOS 5 should solve that
- keyboard is bigger, but still missing some keys in the first panel like numbers, signs... Have to click the "123..." key to reach them

Those are not big issues, considering what it can do...

My 2 cents!

VicoPhone Addict!

Thanks for the replies everyone!

I think getting an ipad will basically replace my laptop, which is a Dell inspiron 1720. It's 17 inches and very heavy, not to mention it gets rather warm on my lap while using it. The only thing I can think of that I'd use the lap top for after getting an ipad is to play mmorpg's and to work on photos in photoshop.

Being able to read news, emails, forums, etc. on the ipad is a big reason I want one. I can read okay on the iphone but I have to turn it to landscape most of the time for that and scrolling left to right really messes up my concentration.

I have read that the ipad 3 will have the retina display. I really love that display on my iphone 4 so maybe it would be best to hold out for the next ipad.
I need to google to find out when it's coming out....hopefully soon! :)

Oh and I have no problems carrying around an ipad...it will fit in my purse, lol.

Last edited:
I have the iPhone 3GS & fairly recently purchased a Wifi-only iPad. I don't have a laptop & note the iPad provides many of the functionalities one would get from a laptop or netbook. It's nice to be able to relax on the couch, surf the net, play games or read ebooks. It's also handy when travelling & visiting people, as you have your own little 'puter at your fingertips. (Yes, I am a complete internet addict). Further, it provides a great way to show your photos & vids to others.

Both of them are good I will say, iPad is better with watching videos, making Internet, playing games, and writing some notes or words, excel documents. The iPhone does all those and is much portable than the iPad but iPhone is more portable and makes phone calls. I'm scheduling on getting the iPad very soon.

Both of them are good I will say, iPad is better with watching videos, making Internet, playing games, and writing some notes or words, excel documents. The iPhone does all those and is much portable than the iPad but iPhone is more portable and makes phone calls. I'm scheduling on getting the iPad very soon.

Nice. I hate to say it but I'm also looking for a bb playbook. My iPad is next to me while my phone is in my hand

Sent from my iP4 while cranking the flyest GoGo bands! DC/MD

Nice. I hate to say it but I'm also looking for a bb playbook. My iPad is next to me while my phone is in my hand

Sent from my iP4 while cranking the flyest GoGo bands! DC/MD

Is there something that intrigues you on the playbook that you don't get on the iPad?

Cya

There are more than one billion potential buyers in the Indian market for smart phones. Now they finally have the option of buying an iPhone 4. the price is close to eight hundred dollars so that may reduce the demand but as the iPhone is an iconic device many will purchase just for pride of ownership.

Oh and I have no problems carrying around an ipad...it will fit in my purse, lol.

If you're gonna go through the hassle of carrying your ipad with you in your purse. You may be better off just selling your iphone and getting a cheap pay-as-you-go phone and saving a bunch of money. Although, I'd wait until you were sure you really wanted to carry around a device that large before you cut the cord.

The beauty of the iphone is that you don't need a big device with you because you can access the internet and your apps anywhere you go. Carrying another device to do that makes the iphone redundant. In fact, my wife is thinking of moving to the ipad/tracfone model herself.

For me the ipad is in no-man's land. It's too big to carry around and great if your nice and comfy on the couch. But whenever I'm surfing the net and want to type, I prefer a laptop with a real keyboard and can hold up it's own screen. Typing on a glass keyboard sucks.

I'm on the iPad now with a ZAGG keyboard and you might be surprised how well the two can work together.

IMO it's not as hard as you might think to keep it with you.

Cya