What's new

iPhone Still Works After Falling From Plane

Maura

iPhoneForums.Net News Team
Staff member
Reaction score
Phone fell from sky.JPG

According to a remarkable news story in the Wichita Falls Times Record, via The Guardian, the owner of an iPhone that fell 2,835 metres from a plane during a flight from Houston was able to locate the phone via Find My iPhone. And even more remarkably, the phone was still working!

The Texas businessman, Ben Wilson, told the newspaper that he was flying from Houston with a pilot on Monday in a Beechcraft Bonanza aircraft when a change in pressure led to the passenger opening slightly. It wasn’t until the plane landed that Wilson realised that his iPhone had fallen out of the gap.

“The pressure popped and a newspaper flew out but I didn’t see the phone go,” said Wilson. “After we got back I looked for it on the floor and in my briefcase but I couldn’t find it.”

Wilson and one of his work colleagues then used Find My iPhone to pinpoint the fallen phone’s location to near Jacksboro, over 50 miles away from his home. Of course it could have ended up at the bottom of a lake, but when Wilson and his colleague went to look for the phone, they found it in a rural pasture, under a mesquite tree. Even better, Wilson was followed by a donkey on his search!

Wilson said that the phone was “in one piece, scratched a bit on the corners but it still worked…The only missing part is the battery.”

The phone was protected during the fall from the sky by a mophie battery charger case.

Sources: Businessman finds iPhone that fell out of plane during flight and it still works US news The Guardian

Phone found in working condition after 9 300-foot fall - Times Record News Wichita Falls Texas