What's new

iPhone ordered! Have a question..

Rockn69Stang

Reaction score
So I recently ordered two iPhone 4s's. One for me and one for my girlfriend. I'm really excited to get the iPhone cause this will be my first smart phone from me upgrading from the envy 2 or 3 (whatever it is lol).

The only thing I'm kinda upset about is that Verizon dropped their unlimited data plan... My girlfriend had unlimited data on her droid so she got to transfer it to her iPhone but I had to get the 2gb plan...

When I'm at my house I'll be able to use my wifi a my house so I'm not worried about that, ill just be using it on my way to work, maybe on break to search something up or something and when I'm on the road looking for places or browsing the web for stuff.

How easy is it to use 2gb of data? I really don't wanna go over on my bill. I will probably like to listen to pandora on my way to work and use the Internet when I'm out to find places and use the map and stuff. Do you think it is worth it to pay the extra $20/month for 5gb? And how much easier would it be to stay under the 5gb limit?

Thanks!!

So I found that Verizon has a data calculator. I went on there and maxed out the web pages visited per day/month, and put in 1 hour a day for streaming music which is a little more than I'd use. I don't know how mich Internet I use, so I just maxed it out to see what it came to. I never send emails but even if I did, I maxed that out and it barely adds anything to the meter.

Also gps barely uses anything but if I'm on the road, my girlfriend will be with me so I can just use hers. I found that watching videos takes the biggest chunk out of your data so I guess I'll jus be sure to do that in a wifi area.

With all that stuff done, I was still under 5gb. So I think I'll just go ahead and pay the extra $20 to get 5gb to be on the safe side.

I also searched and found that if you click on the circle button twice, it pulls up everything that is running in the background and if you press and hold on an app, it will wiggle with a red minus sign next to and I'm guessing if you press the minus sign, it will no longer be running on the background causing your data to Rack up.

If anyone has any other advise on how to keep your data low, please let me know.

You have to limit how much you download from the app store for one, when off wifi. I would also turn iCloud off while not on wifi. Everything else is pretty much self explanatory. But you're on the right track.

إيكرانك...المسطرة

Ok but if I download apps while on a wifi network, it won't go towards data? Only if I'm on 3G right? Then I just have to make sure the apps I download are turned off or not running in the background while on 3G?

So really all I have to remember is to only download apps while on a wifi network and keep them not running in the background while on 3G.
Oh and to turn off iCloud while not on wifi and to also make everything in settings manual so it only fetches for data when I open an app.

I hope I'm understanding all this correctly lol..

Last edited:
I was grandfathered over from my android unlimited data plan when i bought my Iphone 4s. And even though i have unlimited i rarely go over 3 gb on my data usage. Yesterday i downloaded 4 albums from itunes, one album had 22 songs in it and its still not over 1 gb. But then i am not a heavy data user either. I only turn on wifi and connect to icloud when i am at home, This will save you data, Also if you download songs do this while conected to wifi too, this will also save you data. I do not connect to wifi much since i have unlimited, it doesn't matter to me, but i have kept an eye on how much data i used just incase Verzon ever takes unlimited away from me. I only turn my wifi on once a week to back up icloud then i turn it back off, but you will probably want to turn on wifi everytime you are at home. But i realy don't think you will have a problem, and your gona love the iphone.