What's new

iPhone bricked after update failure?

KevinJS

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I spent part of today restoring my son's iPhone SE. He informed me that it had become bricked during a software update. I thought nothing more of it and restored it. I was somewhat bemused to note that although I had restored it to factory settings, his photographs had survived.

Anyway, it appears that he was one of the victims of a wider issue, so here's the information, courtesy of OSXDaily.

iOS 10 Update Problem Fails, Requires iTunes to Fix Bricked iPhone & iPad

I spent part of today restoring my son's iPhone SE. He informed me that it had become bricked during a software update. I thought nothing more of it and restored it. I was somewhat bemused to note that although I had restored it to factory settings, his photographs had survived.

Anyway, it appears that he was one of the victims of a wider issue, so here's the information, courtesy of OSXDaily.

iOS 10 Update Problem Fails, Requires iTunes to Fix Bricked iPhone & iPad
Yes, a few of us here experienced this issue. I thought Apple pulled that update and fixed the problem shortly after release. It was the first time I ever had to use iTunes with an iOS device.

I'd suggest ensuring you have a backup, then going ahead with the update. I've taken to doing all updates through iTunes now. I used to do major ones through iTunes and minor ones OTA. I suspect that the update fails if the phone drops wifi during the process, but that's a guess.

I'd suggest ensuring you have a backup, then going ahead with the update. I've taken to doing all updates through iTunes now. I used to do major ones through iTunes and minor ones OTA. I suspect that the update fails if the phone drops wifi during the process, but that's a guess.
The problem was that the update didn't finish properly but the phone reboots anyway, which leaves the device in an unusable state.

This happened to me on my iPad Pro and one of my iPhones when I updated to iOS 10.0.1. They were stuck on the progress bar with no progress whatsoever. I didn't have to use iTunes for any other software update afterwards.

Was your son still on 9.3.5?

No. 10.1, I believe. I'm not sure that it's exactly the same problem as described on the website. And I have no idea how a factory reset didn't clear the images.

I've experienced something along that line yesterday, when my daughter set up the iPad Air as her device. It was asking for the password of an Apple ID I've used on it before (not the iCloud ID, it's certainly not locked by iCloud). She erased it twice, it's still asking for that password, and I'm wondering why.

I've experienced something along that line yesterday, when my daughter set up the iPad Air as her device. It was asking for the password of an Apple ID I've used on it before (not the iCloud ID, it's certainly not locked by iCloud). She erased it twice, it's still asking for that password, and I'm wondering why.
Has she tried restoring it as well as erasing it?

Has she tried restoring it as well as erasing it?
She restored it from her latest iCloud backup.

I've set up Family Sharing, but I'm using my iCloud ID for it, not the Apple ID it's asking for. When the popup appears, asking for the password, she can close it without entering my password, so there's no problem for her.
Somehow, I get the feeling that Kevin's and my experience are similar, maybe because of a glitch.

Ok, I'm confused now.. has there been a second problem with OTA updates? I remember the first problem, which I experienced, that is discussed here: Problems with iOS 10?

So, is this thread talking about a new problem with OTA updates?

Ok, I'm confused now.. has there been a second problem with OTA updates? I remember the first problem, which I experienced, that is discussed here: Problems with iOS 10?

So, is this thread talking about a new problem with OTA updates?
Sorry, there was no second problem with OTA updates.

What I added to the discussion, happened because Kevin mentioned that the pictures were on the iPhone after a factory restore, which shouldn't happen. What I'm experiencing didn't happen after an update, but after erasing an iDevice.

Last edited:
Sorry, there was no second problem with OTA updates.

I joined the discussion because Kevin mentioned that the pictures were on the iPhone after a factory restore, which shouldn't happen. What I'm experiencing didn't happen after an update, but after erasing an iDevice.
Ah, ok, I wasn't sure if this was a new issue.

I always thought that any pictures on an iPhone were backed up to iCloud and then restored along with the rest of the iCloud backup. Is this not the case?