What's new

Iphone 7 and Ipad 5th Gen problem with imessage

mexicano

Reaction score
I seem to have a problem with the imessage app on my above devices.
When I receive a message it appears on both devices, as normal, but I have noticed that if I delete the message on my ipad the message gets deleted on my iphone, but if I delete the message on my iphone it doesn't delete the message on my ipad.
Has anybody else encounted this? Is this normal across all iphones and ipads or is it just me?

I seem to have a problem with the imessage app on my above devices.
When I receive a message it appears on both devices, as normal, but I have noticed that if I delete the message on my ipad the message gets deleted on my iphone, but if I delete the message on my iphone it doesn't delete the message on my ipad.
Has anybody else encounted this? Is this normal across all iphones and ipads or is it just me?
Do you have Messages in iCloud?

Hi
yes I'm connected to icloud with the same id and password on both of the devices.

Are both devices connected to the WiFi? and do the messages you delete eventually get deleted from the iPad? sometimes there can be a time lag.

Are both devices connected to the WiFi? and do the messages you delete eventually get deleted from the iPad? sometimes there can be a time lag.
Yes they're both connected to wifi and I mainly use my phone to send messages so it can be several days or sometimes a couple of weeks before I go to my ipad and the messages are still there when I deleted them on my phone and I have to manually delete them.

Yes they're both connected to wifi and I mainly use my phone to send messages so it can be several days or sometimes a couple of weeks before I go to my ipad and the messages are still there when I deleted them on my phone and I have to manually delete them.

You could try force restarting the iPad as follows :

1. Press and quickly release the volume button nearest to the top button.
  2. Press and quickly release the volume button farthest from the top button.
  3. Press and hold the top button.
  4. When the Apple logo appears, release the top button.

You could try force restarting the iPad as follows :

1. Press and quickly release the volume button nearest to the top button.
  2. Press and quickly release the volume button farthest from the top button.
  3. Press and hold the top button.
  4. When the Apple logo appears, release the top button.
I've got an old ipad with the home button. I did a forced restart and also to the iphone 7, but still the same :(

I've got an old ipad with the home button. I did a forced restart and also to the iphone 7, but still the same :(
I am running out of ideas now, but you could try signing out of Messages - shut down the iPad - then sign in again.

I am running out of ideas now, but you could try signing out of Messages - shut down the iPad - then sign in again.
Thanks carolineM . Apart from a full factory reset, (which I'm not prepared to do) none of your suggestions have worked. Thanks again for trying to help.
I will just have to "suffer" with this :)

Thanks carolineM . Apart from a full factory reset, (which I'm not prepared to do) none of your suggestions have worked. Thanks again for trying to help.
I will just have to "suffer" with this :)
Sorry I couldn’t be of more help 😞

I have a similar issue. Started earlier this year after I don’t t remember what update. At times it seems resolved and then it starts doing it again, deleting on one device and not the other. I have no effective resolution, just wanted to let you know you aren’t alone.