What's new

iPhone 6s Contacts ----> PC

Myer

Reaction score
I only trust very simple things that I can see and understand.
I do not want to use iCloud.

I would simply like to make a copy of my contacts and store it on my PC.

I would like to be able to view the contacts list on my PC.

A bonus would be to be able to restore the above contact list that would then be stored on my PC back to my iPhone should I lose (again) my contact list. But I'll live with manually re-entering the contact list from the copy on my PC.

If I receive enough recommendations for one App that has a reasonable number of users I don't mind spending a few dollars on it.

I'd use iTunes which I have used for other purposes but have had trouble using it for contacts.

On a related topic I'm having a lot of trouble understanding the synching process. I don't understand in which direction information is being copied. From the iPhone to iTunes or my PC or from my PC/iTunes to the iPhone.

Any copying I do I would like to select what it is I want to do and do only that. For instance, if I want to restore my contacts I don't want text messages, etc to also be brought back.

In other words, I want to be able to select what it is I want to do and do only that.

Syncing works both ways. You can sync from the computer to the iPhone and vice versa. iTunes decides which version is the most recent one, and allows selecting the information you’d like to sync.
To sync contacts, see these instructions:
iTunes for Windows: Sync contacts, calendars, and other info with iPod, iPhone, or iPad

It’s possible to disable syncing automatically. In iTunes, go to Preferences - Devices, and check “Prevent iPods, iPhones and iPads from syncing automatically”.

I don't like automatic anything.
If I want to restore from a backup can I limit it only to Contacts? Nothing else.

What I really want to do is backup/copy only my contacts to my PC (either using iTunes or some other way but not iCloud) and have some way of viewing/printing from that file.

An iPhone backup contains everything on the iPhone. There's no way to limit an iTunes backup to only the contacts list. If you did want to use iCloud, there is iCloud for Windows which would sync your contacts to your PC.

I don't mind using iTunes to backup my complete phone. That's ok because it's not copying anything back to my iPhone at that time.

Is there then some way to view/copy/print the contacts portion of that backup?

I don't mind using iTunes to backup my complete phone. That's ok because it's not copying anything back to my iPhone at that time.

Is there then some way to view/copy/print the contacts portion of that backup?
You can’t view the backup when it’s stored on your computer. Data recovery software might help.
Is there a reason why you don’t want to use iCloud? That would get your contcts to your computer without any problems.

I'll take a look at that. Thanks.

DaveM,

I tried to copy contacts from my iPhone to my PC and it worked perfectly giving me an HTML file which I easily open and it shows all the contacts and info nicely formatted.

What I don't understand is why more people aren't interested in this stuff.

I hate when a choice is "sync" and you really don't specify which way to copy. Then it might pick what it thinks is what you want. This program you mentioned lets you specify the direction.

I haven't tried anything else but THANK YOU.

This is just what I'm looking for.

They must have a pay version. I wonder what the difference is. I'll look into it.

THANKS!!!

The difference in Free and Paid versions is mostly for commercial use.

I haven't tried going from PC ---> iPhone but will eventually.

THANKS