What's new

iPhone 6 Calender Alert issue

jenniferny

Reaction score
When an individual calender alert fires how do you dismiss it on iPhone 6?

In the past with my iPhone 3GS I would just tap the Power Button and it would go silent. On iPhone 6 this DOES NOT work.

If the phone is OFF and I press the HOME button and use the FINGERPRINT READER to activate it, there is no window with options and pressing the POWER BUTTON does nothing.

If the phone is ON and the window displays, none of the available buttons will reliably silence the alert, sometimes they work, sometimes they do not, with the latter being most prevalent. At first I just thought I was missing the button, so I began being very precise when pressing them. It did not help. CLOSE just closes the window. SNOOZE does nothing. I have to wait for the alert to time-out and go silent on its own and this is very annoying, especially if I am in a public place or meeting room.

Apple support keeps telling me go to: SETTINGS>GENERAL>RESET ALL SETTINGS and do a RESET. This will work for a few days then the issue is back again.

What is the way Apple designed the iPhone 6 to be able to silence an individual calender alert when it fires and the phone is OFF? When the phone is OFF I have been able to find no way to silence the alert, I just must let it time-out on its own.

The only documentation I can find is how to silence ALL alerts and I do NOT want to do this!

Apple support always has a difficult time finding ANY documentation on silencing individual calender alerts, and can find nothing on silencing individual calender alerts when the phone is off.

Any ideas?

Has anyone else experienced this?

When you hear a calendar alert, you'll see the event displayed on the screen when your iPhone is locked. Tap the part where the event is visible and slide to the right to silence it.
image.jpg

Or press the Power button and the sound should stop.

Last edited:

This is a detailed report on everything that I have tried.

Calendar Alert Fires

IPhone 6 is OFF

Pressing the POWER button brings up the LOCK screen and the alert keeps sounding.
If I enter the password, the alert keeps sounding.
If I use the fingerprint reader, the alert keeps sounding.
There is NO dialog box offering any options to silence the alert.
If I press the POWER button the screen goes black and the alert keeps sounding.

Tapping on the alert on the black screen and swiping right brings up the lock screen.
If I enter the password, the alert keeps sounding.
If I use the fingerprint reader, the alert keeps sounding.

If I swipe right on the alert it brings up the lock screen too, and the alert keeps sounding.

If I swipe left I get the SNOOZE option.
Pressing it DOES NOT work!
Swiping left and pressing SNOOZE, the alert continues to sound until it times out!!

IPhone 6 is ON

When the alert fires, I get a dialog box that says: CLOSE & OPTIONS.
Pressing CLOSE just closes the dialog box.
Pressing OPTIONS gives me a second dialog box with the VIEW, CLOSE and SNOOZE options.
Pressing the CLOSE button closes the dialog box, but the alert keeps sounding.
Pressing the SNOOZE button does NOTHING except close the dialog box.
Pressing the VIEW button just brings up the event in the Calendar App, but does nothing to silence the alert.

I just went back and tried this on my iPhone 3GS.
When the alert sounds and I press the POWER button the alert immediately silences as it always has for last six years without.

As you can imagine this is irritating to say the least, but in a room full of people it is downright embarrassing!!!!!!!!!!

Any ideas????

Well, as your iPhone doesn't react as it should, try resetting it. This won't remove data or settings. If this is a bug you're experiencing, resetting might help getting rid of it.
To reset, press and hold Home and Power button until you see the Apple logo. Let go of both, your device will power up on it's own.

Next thing to do would be resetting all settings. Your data will remain untouched, but everything you chose in the Settings app will be set back to default, so you'd have to look at everything again and set up the way you prefer it.

Hope that helps.

Do you use one of the ringtones for your calendar alerts? They sound for a while. If you just want to hear the alerts for a very short time, and my suggestions above don't help with your problem, you could still use one of the alert tones that came with your iPhone.

Or toggle the mute switch. That will silence the alert in any case.

Last edited:
I have my calendar events in settings >Notifications set to "alerts" with sound. I use an alert tone. Be sure it's an alert tone and not a ringtone. Regardless, the sound should be dismissed. You can always turn the sound alert off and just show it on the lock screen and in the notification center. If set to "alerts", you would also get the pop ups, but with no sound. To set it for no sounds or to change the sound from a ringtone to an alert tone, go to Settings >Notifications >Calendars> Tap the setting you want to set:
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1427113394.215072.jpg

Then tap "alerts" at bottom then notification sound:
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1427113477.681022.jpg

Then choose an alert tone or none:
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1427113524.580842.jpg

If you choose an alert tone, you should be able to dismiss the sound. If it does not dismiss and the hard reset (reboot) does not work, then either choose no sound alert or take it to a Genius Bar and let them look at it. Or you could restore the phone. I would restore as new, in case the bug is in the back up. Restoring as new is a lot of trouble, but it does fix issues. Hopefully you won't need do it.

Sent from my ancient but trustworthy iPhone 5. ☮