What's new

Iphone 4s verizon

I just re-read this thread. Nowhere did I state this app improves 3G signal. What I did say is Verizon's 3G data speeds are fast enough for any smartphone user's needs.

There are many threads in various forums that mention Apple restricting, and or limiting data through put to the iPhone. I have no idea why, but they do.

The work around for this limitation is to jail break your phone and use an app similar to the one I mention. This app does nothing more than allow the device to receive maximum data throughput.

Sent from my iPhone 4s using Tapatalk

I understand what you are saying, and from my reading, and talking to others - I (with respect) believe you to be mistaken. Of course I could be mistaken about thinking you are mistaken which would mean my entire line of thought was a mistake that I am now compounding with yet another mistake in an attempt to point out your mistake which I was mistaken about which would.....

*deep breath*

sorry about that.

I am 99.9% certain that 3GUnrestrictor, and tweaks like it, do a very specific and basic thing. And that "thing" has nothing to do with maximum throughput in any way.

Lets say you were out and about, on a 3G cellular connection, and you checked the App store and found an app you liked. But it was 21mb in size. For whatever reason (I suspect it might be connected with the original iPhone carrier, AT&T's limited data plan, but I am just guessing), iOS has a built in file size limit for 3G. That size, as far as I know, is 20mb. If you were on WiFi, the restriction is turned off. 3G Unrestrictor simply tells iOS that you are on WiFi. The rascal of a tweak tricks the stodgy old iOS into letting you download larger files.

But wait! There's more!

Lets say you were out and about, on a 3G cellular connection, (sound familiar?) and wanted to make a FaceTime call. Well, video uses much more data than audio - so the data amount you would be dealing with in a FaceTime call could be quite large. Again, iOS has a limitation built into it (I suspect it was to keep data usage low - possibly to help iPhone users stay under their limit, or just to limit the burden on AT&T's network... again, I am just guessing). 3GUnrestrictor fools iOS into thinking you ARE on WiFi and therefore free from the data limit with 3G.

But there's even more!
Lets say you were out and about, on a 3G cellular connection... just kidding. But it does things like that. It simply allows you to fool iOS (and even specific apps) into thinking you are on a WiFi connection, and letting you do things that iOS (or certain apps) think you should only do on WiFi. It basically lets you lie to your phone and tell it you ARE on a WiFi connection, when in reality you are on your same old 3G connection.

It "unrestricts" your 3G connection, if you will... or at least unrestricts your use of it.

It doesn't deal with throughput or packet size or data transport or digital to analog (or even straight digital) compression. It just tells iOS you are on a WiFi connection.

You are still every bit as limited to the speed of your cell network as you ever were. If your cell network is slow - it will still be slow. If it is fast - it will still be fast. It just tells iOS that you are on a WiFi connection.

Again, I could be mistaken... but I really think I am right. I feel confident enough to quote Adrian Monk: "Unless I'm wrong, which, you know, I'm not" lol

Seriously - this isn't a hill I want to die on. Just wanted to post my reply. It's unlikely (but not impossible) that I will post on this issue again.

Take care,
Rob

Last edited:
Howell sucks...period! When we lived there I couldn't ever use my phone except on our wifi. I was so glad to move to Brighton..4G lte here

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk

My 3g on verizon is excellent. I always get right at 2Mbps down. Cant really tell much difference on 3g vs wifi.

speed4tu said:
My 3g on verizon is excellent. I always get right at 2Mbps down. Cant really tell much difference on 3g vs wifi.

As I have said before. It depends where you live.

idevices.are.best said:
Not really sure. From what I've read there's stuff in Cydia that take some of the restrictions off the phone.

Like what restrictions? Like using Wifi only apps on 3G?