What's new

iPhone 4S can't restore. Have tried many ways and still not working.

instakidz

Reaction score
My iPhone 4S is disabled and need to be connected to iTunes and need to be restored.

nczjvb.png

So, I connected to iTunes and downloaded firmware 5.1.1. Then, it says "Extracting content" and when it's trying to verify, it says as follow below:

2mzjiud.png

I did some research and they say it might the firewall blocking it. I checked my firewall and it's turn off.

I don't know what to do now help me.[/COLOR]

Details:
iPhone 4S iOS 5
iTunes and Mac OS X latest

Last edited by a moderator:
first, is your phone jailbroken?
secondly, what are you trying to restore the phone too? if its not the latest firmware, you wont be able to restore it

just re-read the post, you are trying to restore to 5.1.1? i dont believe its possible now, i think the oldest you can restore to is 6.0.1

Hi, welcome to iPhoneForums. I'm Jon.

Please take some time to peruse the IPF Rules
: iPhoneForums.net Forum Rules - Please Read and Respect our Rules

Here are some guides that may suit your needs.
iPhone Tips & Tricks | What is jailbreaking? | Thinking of Jailbreaking but are not sure |Can I Jailbreak my iPhone on this iOS/Jailbreak Status Thread

My particular field of expertise is iOS Jailbreaking and Unlocking.

Just want to touch bases that we do not help people break into other's iPhone or restore stolen ones (not saying that you are) since this method also works for that purpose. To restore a locked iPhone, you would need to enter DFU mode before restoring using iTunes or RedSn0w or any application that allows you to restore. For more information on DFU mode, visit this in-depth sticky below

http://www.iphoneforums.net/forum/iphone-jailbreaking-17/dfu-mode-dummies-16020/

As for restoring back to iOS 5.1.1, the current iOS is 6.0.1/6.0.2 depending on the device, so the only way to restore to an iOS that's no longer being signed is to have SHSH blobs saved for that iOS for your unique device. You cannot download blobs or share them as they are tied uniquely to each and every individual device. If you haven't saved them, there is no way to retrieve them. If you are jailbroken however, open up Cydia and on the top of the main page, see if you see a line that says 'iOS:' on the top, and 5.1.1 listed next to it. If it's there, you can re-restore using RedSn0w back to a clean version of iOS 5.1.1. If you do not have blobs saved, your only option for restoration is to iOS 6.0.1, which is the latest iOS for the iPhone 4S. Unfortunately, there is no work around for the need of blobs, if anyway says otherwise, they're either lying to you or have no clue what they're talking about :)

It's not possible now? I'm not sure if it's jail broken or not. I just bought the phone from someone and my niece played the passcode and my iPhone got disabled. That's where I started to struggle. I've tried to upgrade my iPhone last time in my MacBook Air and got the same problem. The iOS was probably iOS 6 (That I downloaded) but my Mac OS Leopard is outdated, so thus my iTunes. So, I downloaded iOS 5.1.1 and still got the same result. I transferred the firmware to my iMac where the OS and the iTunes are updated and still got the same result. It could be as what you said, not possible to use 5.1.1 now. Will the file of the iOS 6 still be in my MacBook Air? So I don't have to download it again.

If you attempted to restore using iTunes directly without downloading it manually yourself, then yes, it will still be on your computer. I'm not entirely sure of the directory for Mac OSX so I don't want to misguide you, but you can look around for it and such, or just do a full system search for the term 'iphone4,1' and it should show up. As mentioned above, you can't restore to iOS 5.1.1 without blobs since the iOS is no longer being signed, so you're bound to iOS 6.0.1 if you don't have them. The key is to put the device into DFU mode before restoring. DFU mode is like a anesthetic for your device, so you won't run into the passcode lock error and you can jump straight into restoring it.

Like Jon said, put your phone into (DFU mode) or in other words (Recovery Mode) putting your device into recovery mode is really simple.

1. Press the Power button until you see the "slide to turn off" screen.
2. Hold the Power & the Home button until the screen flashes.
3. When the screen flashes, release the power button and keep onto the home button until you end up seeing the "Connect to iTunes screen."

I based these quick notes on Sikmenios' YouTube video as I didn't know the amount of time you had to hold the power & home button off the top of my head, so you could subscribe to him. If you still can't do it, just watch this Youtube video.

Thereafter, connect to iTunes and restore... You could set your iPhone up from a previous back-up or as brand new.
If you have a previous back up of pictures or would like to insert pictures onto your phone, just simply press on 'iPhone' and then 'Photos' then just browse for the location of your pictures.

Many Thanks,
ASSASINATERZ

Last edited by a moderator:
instakidz said:
It's not possible now? I'm not sure if it's jail broken or not. I just bought the phone from someone and my niece played the passcode and my iPhone got disabled. That's where I started to struggle. I've tried to upgrade my iPhone last time in my MacBook Air and got the same problem. The iOS was probably iOS 6 (That I downloaded) but my Mac OS Leopard is outdated, so thus my iTunes. So, I downloaded iOS 5.1.1 and still got the same result. I transferred the firmware to my iMac where the OS and the iTunes are updated and still got the same result. It could be as what you said, not possible to use 5.1.1 now. Will the file of the iOS 6 still be in my MacBook Air? So I don't have to download it again.

Maybe your niece put a Passcode on your iPhone? That may explain why you can't restore your phone. Without that password, all you can do is erase your iPhone and restore to factory condition. If you have a backup that was made prior to the time that your problem started, you can use it to set up your iPhone. If you don't have a suitable backup, you will have to set it up from your iTunes and AppStore purchased lists.

iPhone Forums Moderator

Last edited:
As for restoring back to iOS 5.1.1, the current iOS is 6.0.1/6.0.2 depending on the device, so the only way to restore to an iOS that's no longer being signed is to have SHSH blobs saved for that iOS for your unique device. You cannot download blobs or share them as they are tied uniquely to each and every individual device. If you haven't saved them, there is no way to retrieve them. If you are jailbroken however, open up Cydia and on the top of the main page, see if you see a line that says 'iOS:' on the top, and 5.1.1 listed next to it. If it's there, you can re-restore using RedSn0w back to a clean version of iOS 5.1.1. If you do not have blobs saved, your only option for restoration is to iOS 6.0.1, which is the latest iOS for the iPhone 4S. Unfortunately, there is no work around for the need of blobs, if anyway says otherwise, they're either lying to you or have no clue what they're talking about :)

I guess I'll have to download iOS 6 again. I have no internet access at home and my iMac is the only one updated. It would take more time if I update my Mac OS X Leopard in my MacBook and the iTunes. Will it be fine if I just donwloaded the firmware (iOS 6) and transferred it to my iMac?

Well without internet, I don't think you can restore since it still goes online for Apple's signature for iOS 6.0.1. Remember that you can only restore to 6.0.1

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 

If I downloaded the firmware from my MacBook and transferred it to my iMac, then I'll just use my mobile network to get the internet access to verify the firmware, will that be work and possible?

Should work. As long as there's Internet connection.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 

Yosh. I'll go to a nearest cafe to download iOS 6.0.1 and do as been said. Will announce the result.

Simple like eating a piece of cake. Download latest iOS for ur iPhone, update ur iTunes and than restore using manual. I.e press restore button will pressing shift key on ur keyboard. Locate ur iOS download. Open restore it. If it brings error repeat it done. It will work out.
Ayet_iphone

Simple like eating a piece of cake. Download latest iOS for ur iPhone, update ur iTunes and than restore using manual. I.e press restore button will pressing shift key on ur keyboard. Locate ur iOS download. Open restore it. If it brings error repeat it done. It will work out.
Ayet_iphone

If I updated my iTunes, I would need to update my OS X too. It would takes some time whilst my iMac is updated. So, transferring the firmware is the only option.

Use latest redsnow, if u have shsh and u are at the moment on 5.1.1 u can do restore. Your bb will change due to no bb preservation for 4s. So latest redsnow, and restore with it.