What's new

iPhone 4 on.. what G?

janellelk

Reaction score
::Sigh:: I know this is a stupid question so please be kind.. :) My boyfriend and I just recently bought the iPhone 4s through Verizon's family plan. We signed up for the talk and text plan + unlimited web.

Okay.. so we've been using it and have been very happy, but we're both confused.. it says 3G in the top left corner for our network.. shouldn't it say 4G? I really don't understand.

Okay. Sorry! And thank you!

::Sigh:: I know this is a stupid question so please be kind.. :) My boyfriend and I just recently bought the iPhone 4s through Verizon's family plan. We signed up for the talk and text plan + unlimited web.

Okay.. so we've been using it and have been very happy, but we're both confused.. it says 3G in the top left corner for our network.. shouldn't it say 4G? I really don't understand.

dont be sorry, its why we are here! to help :)

well there is no 4g network.. the g is for 4th generation iphone nothing to do with a 4g network.. it has 3g but not 4.. maybe in the iphone 5 or 6 it will have it, but for now we are stuck with slow crappy 3g :)

hope this helps.

Thanks so much, lol! I'm clearly a newbie and I so appreciate your help. Hope I can be of help to someone in the future. :)

dont be sorry, its why we are here! to help :)

well there is no 4g network.. the g is for 4th generation iphone nothing to do with a 4g network.. it has 3g but not 4.. maybe in the iphone 5 or 6 it will have it, but for now we are stuck with slow crappy 3g :)

hope this helps.

Hmmm. I got my Verizon iPhone when it came out a couple of months ago, and I'm sure it used to say 3G up in the menu bar, but now it says Verizon. This past week the company announced 4G service in selected areas of South Carolina (including Hilton Head where I live).

In Settings/General/Network it also says Verizon.

So, is my former 3G now getting 4G service?

no because the iphone does not have 4g capabilities.. but interesting to see that verizon is offering 4g. we might even see it in the iphone 5/4g that means..

Unleashed said:
no because the iphone does not have 4g capabilities.. but interesting to see that verizon is offering 4g. we might even see it in the iphone 5/4g that means..

It's offering the 4g to the thunderbolts. With roughly 500,000 units sold. Verizon is launching it's lte network with good success but I also read the iPhone 6 will have lte around 2012 sometime.

Sent from my iPhone using iPF.net

Unleashed said:

It's offering the 4g to the thunderbolts. With roughly 500,000 units sold. Verizon is launching it's lte network with good success but I also read the iPhone 6 will have lte around 2012 sometime.

thats good! hopefully it will mean much faster internet on the go and no restrictions.

we will see when apple offer it on their devices

Unleashed said:
thats good! hopefully it will mean much faster internet on the go and no restrictions.

yeah. nothing special about the faster speeds to me.

Unleashed said:

yeah. nothing special about the faster speeds to me.

no but 4g might mean that carriers are able to lift restrictions officially for the 4g network say facetime and downloading files over 20mb or some sites like bbci that only work on wifi with out the need for jailbreak or apps like 3g un restrictor or 4g

I just purchased my iPhone4 last week after I got fed up with my Blackberry. And the 3G/4G service and I was told that Apple hasn't made any decisions on supporting 4G yet because AT&T does not have a native 4G network at this time, and Apple isn't interested in creating two versions of the iPhone. So basically when both Verizon and AT&T have a 4G LTE network (Verizon has one in major markets) then Apple with look into upgrading to the new networks.

When i look at iphone 3g vs 3gs , though both of them look same, actually there are a lot of differences in them.The processor of iPhone 3G is ARM 11 running on 412 MHz, while that of 3GS is ARM Cortex A-8 running on 600 MHz.Camera of 3G is 2.0 megapixel and it has fixed focus, while that of 3GS is 3.0 megapixel and auto focus with auto white balance as well as macro mode.it didn't have video recording and voice control features, while 3GS is with 30fps VGA along with on-device editing capability and a voice control feature which enables you for dialing numbers, playing songs, calling contacts and much more with your voice.Graphic capability of 3G is Open GL ES 1.1 and that of 3GS is OpenGL ES 2.0.There are no Nike+ support and integrated magnetic compass in 3G, while 3GS features them.Wireless technology of 3G includes 3.6 Mbps HSDPA, WiFi and Bluetooth 2.0+ EDR, while that of 3GS includes 7.2 Mbps HSDPA, WiFi and Bluetooth 2.1+ EDR. The download speed of 3GS is much faster, than 3G
iphone 3g vs 3gs

I can understand that. I'm not interested in the 4g network though. i don't download much without being home. that's just my preference. I usually rip and run not having much time to do anything outside of what I'm doing

BriceFxP said:
I just purchased my iPhone4 last week after I got fed up with my Blackberry. And the 3G/4G service and I was told that Apple hasn't made any decisions on supporting 4G yet because AT&T does not have a native 4G network at this time, and Apple isn't interested in creating two versions of the iPhone. So basically when both Verizon and AT&T have a 4G LTE network (Verizon has one in major markets) then Apple with look into upgrading to the new networks.

that will be awhile from now