What's new

iPhone 4 and ISPs

jen724

Reaction score
I don’t understand something about the iPhone 4 and ISPs. Actually, it’s a more generic question than that.

The iPhone provides me with Google and Safari. I can look up topics with Google, and can open them in Safari, or one of several browsers, to browse the web. I can also get my email (gmail) through Google. With these capabilities, why do I need an ISP (like AOL or MSN) at all?

I’ve been told that Google is not an ISP, but does it have that functionality on an iPhone? Or, is it the ISP I’m using, operating silently in the background, that’s enabling Google and Safari to do their thing?

In other words, if I cancelled my ISP provider, would Google and Safari still operate the same on the iPhone?

Your Internet Service Provider just supplies your wifi/wired connection. So if you are using wifi any data google/safari/ect uses it. If you use 3G then basically ATT becomes your ISP and you use data off your cell plan.

Many thanks DannyBoy. I think I get it. 3G connectivity is a function of AT&T, but WiFi is not. If I'm connected via WiFi I need an ISP (other than AT&T) for web connectivity?

Mike

Many thanks DannyBoy. I think I get it. 3G connectivity is a function of AT&T, but WiFi is not. If I'm connected via WiFi I need an ISP (other than AT&T) for web connectivity?

Mike

well, if you are connected wifi, then some one else is providing you with internet ;) or it's you, if you have a wifi set-up at home. Enjoy your new phone.

WiFi is basically a hot spot, meaning some one has internet and you at just using it :)