What's new

iPhone 3GS jailbreak - stock 4.2.1 to JB 4.3.3

mnenad

Reaction score
Hi everyone.

I have a 3GS with stock firmware 4.2.1 installed, and deactivated (after full reset).

I want to JB and install 4.3.3 firmware.

I found many tutorials how to use snowbreeze to make custom 4.3.3 firmware from original and then restore it in iTunes. But would it work in this case, as I have the Apple FW 4.2.1 installed? Are there any better solutions?

It's not important to preserve baseband, as it's not supported by ultrasnow and can't be unlocked.

Yes you can upgrade directely to iOS 4.3.3 and if your baseband is not supported by ultrasnow there is no need to preserve it.
Question: is your phone jailbreak at the moment? How did you unlock your baseband? Do the same method to unlock after upgrading to iOS 4.3.3

No, it's not jailbreak, I got my cousin's old one, and it's SIM locked. That's why I have to do the JB.

Anyway, I found in some tutorials before beginning something like this: "Make sure your iPhone is running FirmWare 4.3.3". That's why I got confused. I have the 4.2.1 as I mentioned.

If you are going to use redsnow, yes you need to make sure you have the iOS 4.3.3 in your device, but if you use snowbreeze, you can jailbreak it directely without upgrading first.
I still don't get it rightabout your baseband, can u read it out? What is your baseband?

It's 5.15.04. Ultrasnow can't unlock it. And it's more likely for the dev team to release a downgrade solution in the future, than to support my current baseband and others. So I'm gonna upgrade. I hope there are no other issues with 6.15.0 except the GPS.

So, it's clear now, with snowbreeze I can put any custom firmware directly. By the way, if I had some issues on 4.3.3, I could downgrade to lower version again with snowbreeze?

It's 5.15.04. Ultrasnow can't unlock it. And it's more likely for the dev team to release a downgrade solution in the future, than to support my current baseband and others. So I'm gonna upgrade. I hope there are no other issues with 6.15.0 except the GPS.

So, it's clear now, with snowbreeze I can put any custom firmware directly. By the way, if I had some issues on 4.3.3, I could downgrade to lower version again with snowbreeze?

You will be able to downgrade only if you have saved shsh of your present iOS, without saving the SHSH you are not going to be able to downgrade after upgrading.

But I wouldn't go to 4.2.1 again. Maybe 4.3.2 or 4.3.1, if I had problems with 4.3.3. I can't backup those SHSH blobs. Should I first install lower versions to save SHSH?

Ok, I figured out. It's too late to backup SHSH for old firmwares. So I guess I'm gonna upgrade gradually, starting from 4.3.1 to leave an upgrade option if I have some problems. I just want a stable ios, don't have to install the latest version. If I go directly to 4.3.3 there is no way back.

But I wouldn't go to 4.2.1 again. Maybe 4.3.2 or 4.3.1, if I had problems with 4.3.3. I can't backup those SHSH blobs. Should I first install lower versions to save SHSH?

You should start saving shsh from the iOS you are having on your device now, you can't downgrade to lower firmware in the purpose to save shsh, but you save shsh in the purpose to downgrade

Ok, I figured out. It's too late to backup SHSH for old firmwares. So I guess I'm gonna upgrade gradually, starting from 4.3.1 to leave an upgrade option if I have some problems. I just want a stable ios, don't have to install the latest version. If I go directly to 4.3.3 there is no way back.

Either 4.3.2 or 4.3.3 should work out well. But if you have 4.3.1 right now in your device, i don't know if you will be able to install 4.3.2 in your device as itunes always looks for the latest and thus the latest at the moment is 4.3.3. But maybe there is a way to get 4.3.2 in your device save shsh and then upgrade to 4.3.3

I have 4.2.1 installed and I need to decide what version to upgrade to.

So, I've saved SHSH today for the first time ever using TinyUmbrella, and all I've got is 4.3.3 SHSH file.

Please correct me if I'm wrong, but this file could only be used to revert to 4.3.3 from some future FW like 4.4?

If so, then after upgrade there is no way to downgrade to 4.2.1. And if I had problems in 4.3.3, there's nothing I can do but wait for the next FW release. I read about wifi problems in 4.3.3. That's why was thinking to try with 4.3.1. In case something doesn't work, I can still try with two newer versions. Hope you undestand me.

It means that you will be able to downgrade to 4.2.1 in future. But what i'm wondering now is if you will be capable of loading iOS 4.3.0, 4.3.1, 4.3.2, on your device now. IMO itunes will not allow u to do so, but instead it will load 4.3.3 directely into your phone.

Ok then. I thought iPhone would accept any custom firmware. So I must use the latest.

Just one more question, could I just jailbreak (not restore) current 4.2.1 with redsnow and without any shsh?

Ok then. I thought iPhone would accept any custom firmware. So I must use the latest.

Just one more question, could I just jailbreak (not restore) current 4.2.1 with redsnow and without any shsh?

Yes you can do that right away even without saving shsh.

I did the jailbreak on 4.2.1 and it's working fine so far. Thanks bab2010 for your help.