What's new

iPad 2 Infiinitely Stuck in Recovery Mode After Updating Old Jailbroken Software

TheButteredPotato

Reaction score
I tried today to update my iPad 2, which had the iOS version of 5.1.x, I don't remember exactly, to the latest iOS version, something like 7.0.6, or along the lines of that. I was not connected to a computer at the time and just did it while sitting on the couch. It said I should plug it into my computer which is perfectly fine (showed the picture of the cord going into iTunes, AKA Recovery Mode, but I didn't know that at the time), and it said that I needed to restore my iPad to finish the update, but it would DELETE EVERYTHING. I had no idea. They gave me no warning or anything. I have pictures from my beloved great grandfather's funeral and other personal photos and such that need to be transferred from my device to my computer, but can't be because it's stuck in recovery mode. I'm on Windows 8.1 and have tried practically everything, ranging from things by the name of blackra1n, Redsn0w, TinyUmbrella, etc. etc. Nothing works. Every time I try something, either absolutely nothing happens, or it "reboots." I say that with quotations because all it does is turn black, display the Apple logo for about 3 seconds, then go back to recovery mode. Please, somebody help me. I've been researching for three hours. I will get back as soon as possible with any replies given to me.

Most likely you interrupted it during the installation process, so it's no longer on iOS 5, and unfortunately, your data was not left intact and has been wiped completely during the process. Sorry for your loss.

Most likely you interrupted it during the installation process, so it's no longer on iOS 5, and unfortunately, your data was not left intact and has been wiped completely during the process. Sorry for your loss.
I have yet to restore it though, and it's just in the recovery mode. I don't believe that data is wiped until the device is restored. And no, it was not interrupted in any way, as I can't see how it could have been. I was just sitting down, pressed update, waited, then it went into recovery mode; no interruptions.

I interpreted it as the device came to its current state during the upgrade process. Most likely your boot sequence has been corrupted, and without the proper homebrew utilities, it's impossible to insert yourself into the sequence to resolve it. You can attempt to boot into Safe Mode and see if that somehow resolves it, but because you don't have a bootrom level exploit, it's extremely difficult to perform a disk dump of your device. You can also try plugging it into different PC utilities and see if they can somehow read your device in Recovery or DFU mode and see if you can extract anything from it, but the chances of a corrupted boot sequence fix is slim to none