What's new

IOS 5.01 and AppleTV

IanR

Reaction score
Having recently upgraded to 5.01 and Apple tv 4.4.2 I have discovered that I can no longer play video through AirPlay - I get message 'this content requires HDCP for playback' I have tried replacing my HDMI cable but it doesn't fix issue. This was working fine until recently. Anyone else having this problem?

Ian

Welcome to our forums. You will find the answer below.

Your HDTV must support HDCP; otherwise, video will not play.

Issues may occur if HDCP is not detected

If HDCP authentication does not succeed, you may see one of the following symptoms:

A message may appear on your television stating "This content requires HDCP for playback. HDCP isn't supported by your HDMI connection."
You may see periodic bands of static, or full screen static, flashing across your TV screen.
If you are experiencing either of the symptoms above, try playing the same content again for at least another 10 seconds. If the issue persists, try the following steps until the issue is resolved:

Connect your Apple TV (2nd generation) directly to your HDTV using an HDMI cable.
Set your Apple TV and HDTV to off or sleep mode
From the Apple TV*interface, select: Settings -> Sleep Now.
Turn off your TV and wait for about 10 seconds.
Turn your TV back on.
Press the Select button on your Apple TV remote to wake your Apple TV.
Some HDTVs may need a firmware update. Consult your TV manufacturer's user manual or online support pages for additional information about how to update your TV's firmware.
If available, try using a different HDMI*to HDMI cable, such as an Apple HDMI to HDMI cable, directly between your Apple TV (2nd generation) and 720p HDCP-compatible HDTV.
Additional Information
Even if your HDTV supports HDCP, you may still experience HDCP related issues when connecting your Apple TV (2nd generation) to your HDTV if:

You have connected your Apple TV to a HDMI-to-DVI*adapter that does not support HDCP
You have connected your Apple TV to your TV*using a HDMI cable that does not support HDCP
You have connected your Apple TV to your TV*via an AV receiver that does not support HDCP
You have connected your Apple TV to a HDMI hub, switch, scaler, or extender that does not support HDCP

Thanks Col, I followed your instructions and now all is working fine again. Thanks for your help.

Ian

Am having some problem with my apple tv2 also. I bought it a month ago when I first connected it the AirPlay wasn't working on my aptv when I connect it to my wifi wirelessly , So I connect it directly to my wireless router using the network wire, then it worked. It worked for a few weeks then all of a sudden it stopped , m iPhone 4s wasn't connectin to m aptv at all, and the remote app on my iPhone stop working also it's not pairing with the aptv, anyone know what this problem could be, or any ideas how it can be fix?