What's new

Impact of iPhone 5 on US Economy Estimated to be $75 Billion in 2012

Maura

iPhoneForums.Net News Team
Staff member
Reaction score
8272-iphone-5-white.JPG

Boy Genius Report writes that according to Mobile Future’s newly published “2012 Mobile Year in Review” report, the sales of just the iPhone 5 alone could increase the whole $15 trillion US economy by up to half a percent. Or, in other words, as BGR puts it, the iPhone 5, which will have only been on sale for just three months and nine days by the end of 2012, is estimated to have boosted the US economy by around $75 billion! Wow! Other interesting facts from the Mobile Futures report that BGR noted include the fact that 10 million photos were shared on Instagram during Thanksgiving this year, with 226 pictures per second being shared at its peak. Also, with a total of 31 million tweets, this year’s Presidential Election in the US was the most tweeted event in history. Following on from that, Mobile Future says that now six in 10 Americans think that they should have the right to vote via wireless.

[FONT=&quot]Source: [/FONT]iPhone 5 impact on US economy estimated at $75 billion | BGR

The Galaxy S3 is better!! If you read the comments here the judgement is pretty much unanomous... !!!!!
It is cheaper and much more diverse in what you can do with it :D

How is something better if it can be hacked without the user ever knowing about it and all their data stolen? Or how is it better if you miss calls and text messages because the phone is too busy running apps in background?

I guess you and I have different opinions on definition of better. Personally I like my devices to work at all times and not to have my data stolen.

How is something better if it can be hacked without the user ever knowing about it and all their data stolen? Or how is it better if you miss calls and text messages because the phone is too busy running apps in background?

I guess you and I have different opinions on definition of better. Personally I like my devices to work at all times and not to have my data stolen.
really... i can't believe you just said. if you would have done just a tincy wincy but of research before posting. you would have seen you are wrong.
c/p
"The largest proportion of app crashes from both iOS and Android platforms were on iOS 5.01 with 28.64% of overall crashes (in a normalized data set). That makes sense since iOS 5 was still relatively new at that time and many apps still need to work out the kinks with the new OS. But there are also older iOS versions that have a significant proportion of app crashes. For example, iOS 4.2.10 had 12.64% of app crashes, iOS 4.3.3 had 10.66% and iOS 4.1 had 8.24%. One other point that this made clear to me is that many people apparently take their time updating their iPhone software or never update it at all."

so when you say it just works we all hope your were talking about android;)

really... i can't believe you just said. if you would have done just a tincy wincy but of research before posting. you would have seen you are wrong.
c/p
"The largest proportion of app crashes from both iOS and Android platforms were on iOS 5.01 with 28.64% of overall crashes (in a normalized data set). That makes sense since iOS 5 was still relatively new at that time and many apps still need to work out the kinks with the new OS. But there are also older iOS versions that have a significant proportion of app crashes. For example, iOS 4.2.10 had 12.64% of app crashes, iOS 4.3.3 had 10.66% and iOS 4.1 had 8.24%. One other point that this made clear to me is that many people apparently take their time updating their iPhone software or never update it at all."

so when you say it just works we all hope your were talking about android;)

Young man I am an iOS, Android, Windows and *Nix developer with 28 years of experience. My last project brought in over $12 million US and counting. So it would be better to assume, for your sake, I know more than you ever will on the subject matter of software development. With that in mind.

The issue I was referring to has ZERO to do with applications or the OS crashing. In fact the issue is caused by everything working as designed under AOSP (Android Open Source Project). You can take any off the shelf STOCK Android phone and install applications from the Google Play Market. If you install enough applications that have triggered events and should you trigger an event that has too many apps tied to it at the same exact time as a call or SMS/MMS is incoming, Android will miss the initial event being raised by the cellular radio. If you are lucky, that will only cause the custom ringtone associated with the contact to be missed and it plays the default ringtone (which is always loaded in memory) or if you aren't so lucky, the CPU stays so busy that the cellular radio simply times out and you miss the event completely.

Example: There are a thousands of apps that are tied to the "On Change Connection" event for when you switch from the cellular data to WiFi data. EBay's application is a classic example of this. When you leave your house and are no longer in WiFi range, Android signals all apps tied to that event that it should run their code to deal with the change in data stream. Now imagine if someone has 100 apps like that because they think they are cool apps. Eventually the CPU will be overloaded with work when that event is triggered. At the same time, a call comes in. CPU is so busy handling those 100 apps it can't make a time slice for the cellular radio available instantly. And there in lies the beginning of the failure.

Android 1.6 thru 2.3.4 had major issues with this situation, especially on single core CPUs. They tried to correct it with 3.x and failed. Android 4.x is doing a much better job, but you still need a quad core CPU to deal with the situation properly every time. Where as with iOS, you only need a single core CPU and it never happens.

You are welcome. I just saved you 18 months of research and hands on testing of the AOSP code base.

Piece of advice for the future. Do some actual research before you decide to blast someone with a quote from some blog that doesn't have a damn thing to do with actual the statement that was made.

Young man I am an iOS, Android, Windows and *Nix developer with 28 years of experience. My last project brought in over $12 million US and counting. So it would be better to assume, for your sake, I know more than you ever will on the subject matter of software development. With that in mind.

The issue I was referring to has ZERO to do with applications or the OS crashing. In fact the issue is caused by everything working as designed under AOSP (Android Open Source Project). You can take any off the shelf STOCK Android phone and install applications from the Google Play Market. If you install enough applications that have triggered events and should you trigger an event that has too many apps tied to it at the same exact time as a call or SMS/MMS is incoming, Android will miss the initial event being raised by the cellular radio. If you are lucky, that will only cause the custom ringtone associated with the contact to be missed and it plays the default ringtone (which is always loaded in memory) or if you aren't so lucky, the CPU stays so busy that the cellular radio simply times out and you miss the event completely.

Example: There are a thousands of apps that are tied to the "On Change Connection" event for when you switch from the cellular data to WiFi data. EBay's application is a classic example of this. When you leave your house and are no longer in WiFi range, Android signals all apps tied to that event that it should run their code to deal with the change in data stream. Now imagine if someone has 100 apps like that because they think they are cool apps. Eventually the CPU will be overloaded with work when that event is triggered. At the same time, a call comes in. CPU is so busy handling those 100 apps it can't make a time slice for the cellular radio available instantly. And there in lies the beginning of the failure.

Android 1.6 thru 2.3.4 had major issues with this situation, especially on single core CPUs. They tried to correct it with 3.x and failed. Android 4.x is doing a much better job, but you still need a quad core CPU to deal with the situation properly every time. Where as with iOS, you only need a single core CPU and it never happens.

You are welcome. I just saved you 18 months of research and hands on testing of the AOSP code base.

Piece of advice for the future. Do some actual research before you decide to blast someone with a quote from some blog that doesn't have a damn thing to do with actual the statement that was made.

i am afraid you got me on this one, as i have never had the issue you talk about. maybe i'm not running my phone hard enough lol.. to have 100+ apps running in the background hence i have never had the call issue you speak of. and oh btw atleast with androind you can run multiple apps at the same unlike ios. i will say this tho. i have ran more than 45+ apps at the same while on a phone call and have yet to drop a call. that's more than i can say about my 4s which can't run multiple task at the same time while on a call it's just a 1 trick pony nothing amazing. and since we both know that ios crashes more than android, need i remind you that when your ios crashes your call will get dropped no doubt about it. i have yet to see any phone that can be on a call and remain on a call while it crashes.

i am afraid you got me on this one, as i have never had the issue you talk about. maybe i'm not running my phone hard enough lol.. to have 100+ apps running in the background hence i have never had the call issue you speak of. and oh btw atleast with androind you can run multiple apps at the same unlike ios. i will say this tho. i have ran more than 45+ apps at the same while on a phone call and have yet to drop a call. that's more than i can say about my 4s which can't run multiple task at the same time while on a call it's just a 1 trick pony nothing amazing. and since we both know that ios crashes more than android, need i remind you that when your ios crashes your call will get dropped no doubt about it. i have yet to see any phone that can be on a call and remain on a call while it crashes.

What you consider "running multiple apps" and what really occurs on both iOS and Android are two entirely different things. Because iOS can and does run multiple apps in background all the time. Also dropping a call should never be an issue while running apps on any smart phone currently made. Both Android and iOS will drop a call when the OS itself locks up. But your implication that Android crashes less than iOS is almost laughable. My iPhone has NEVER crashed/kernel panicked while on a call. I owned three different Android phones that did, which is what led me to switch to iOS. BTW, I am talking about non jailbroken/rooted devices here. Because the rules change dramatically for both OSes the second you root them.

You should research how applications actually run under iOS and Android. Very fascinating subject matter. Especially when you take into account the round robin time slicing and multiple CPU aspect. And in case you didn't know, Android and iOS are both *nix based OSes. Which means once you strip away the User Interface, the only real difference between the two OSes is that Android requires the Dalvik VM to run 90% of its Applications vs iOS which runs everything in native mode.

BTW I compiled and built my own custom ROMs for my Droids straight from AOSP. It was the only way back in the 2.2 and 2.3.x days to get a nearly 100% stable phone because of the bloat ware devices came with. But my specialty was governors and over/under clocking Droids. Use Google and search for "Android overclocking 101". The first result returned should be my thread on the subject matter.

you say your phone has never crashed and i say my phone has never crashed. it's a wash, now one wins. the same can be said about many things for (example) battery life you can say you get 8hrs of run time and i can say i get 12hrs. when there are discrepancies between to people, we have no real choice but to collect data from a neutral source to really see which device is really crashing more. just because your iphone doesn't or has never crashed like you say. doesn't mean all iphones don't crash. the forums are full of horror stories. for both sides. but when a reputable source does a test study and they prove that one crashes more than the other. then when must use that data as our guideline.
and as far as multi-tasking can you please tell me how you got your iphone do to 2 things at once like watch a video while sending a text messg. cause i would love to know how you did it. i got a 4s in my closet and would love to get the feature to work.

you say your phone has never crashed and i say my phone has never crashed. it's a wash, now one wins. the same can be said about many things for (example) battery life you can say you get 8hrs of run time and i can say i get 12hrs. when there are discrepancies between to people, we have no real choice but to collect data from a neutral source to really see which device is really crashing more. just because your iphone doesn't or has never crashed like you say. doesn't mean all iphones don't crash. the forums are full of horror stories. for both sides. but when a reputable source does a test study and they prove that one crashes more than the other. then when must use that data as our guideline.
and as far as multi-tasking can you please tell me how you got your iphone do to 2 things at once like watch a video while sending a text messg. cause i would love to know how you did it. i got a 4s in my closet and would love to get the feature to work.

You can't watch video and text at the same time. And to be blunt, I can't think of a single reason why anyone would need that feature. Because one of the functions is going to suffer. IE you miss part of the video or your text message reads like a first grader wrote it.

As for your synopsis that there is no neutral ground for a comparison, I would concur. Have attempted myself to do that kind of testing and have always found a flaw in the process that invalidated the data collected.

of course i can i watch a video and text at the same. i do it all the time. why can't you? here's proof of what i say is truth. not just words. i'll be here waiting for you to show me how you do it on your iphone ok. cause i would really love to wipe the dust off my 4s and put it do some good use.

Last edited by a moderator:
BTW I deleted the repeated text from post #10 that was already in #post 8. Don't need people having Deja Vue.

I already know what the Galaxy line of Android phones can do under 4.x. Remember I have been using Android since 2009. Still have Droid phones so I can stay on top of the current progress. And just because you have video proof doesn't change the fact that feature is pretty much a gimmick.

BTW I deleted the repeated text from post #10 that was already in #post 8. Don't need people having Deja Vue.

I already know what the Galaxy line of Android phones can do under 4.x. Remember I have been using Android since 2009. Still have Droid phones so I can stay on top of the current progress. And just because you have video proof doesn't change the fact that feature is pretty much a gimmick.

i find it very funny that the iphone community always seem to use the word gimmicky when it's not on the iphone. and then once it hits the iphone it's like oh look how majical the new iphone is. here are just a few things that were also called gimmiky until the iphone got them and i bet you no one is saying it's a gimmick now.
panorama shot, 4glte, dropdown notifier, just to name a few. things to come that folks are calling gimmicks now. but will stop calling them gimmicks once they hit iphone. nfc, true multi-tasking, multi-colored led notifier.

i find it very funny that the iphone community always seem to use the word gimmicky when it's not on the iphone. and then once it hits the iphone it's like oh look how majical the new iphone is. here are just a few things that were also called gimmiky until the iphone got them and i bet you no one is saying it's a gimmick now.
panorama shot, 4glte, dropdown notifier, just to name a few. things to come that folks are calling gimmicks now. but will stop calling them gimmicks once they hit iphone. nfc, true multi-tasking, multi-colored led notifier.

First off, I am not the community. I can rattle off hundreds of items that are wrong with the iPhone, iPad, Macintosh computers, iOS and OSX. But I can also list just as much or even more about Android. The only difference between Android and iOS is the adoption rate of new ideas and the speed of that adoption. Android is bleeding edge and it shows. iOS is cautious, save for Maps (what a debacle), and takes the time to refine the item to the point of non-failure or impact to the ecosystem.

That is the single major difference that sets the two ecosystems apart.

BTW, I haven't seen you say how many features Android has adopted or adapted from iOS. Remember iOS/iPhone was out in June of 2007. Fifteen months before Android and the first Droid.

So when I throw around the word gimmicky, I don't use it lightly. Because I have lived thru the history of both devices. Watching videos and texting at the same time is a gimmick and serves no useful purpose other than as a marketing tool to say "Look what we can do that the iPhone can't". They would be better off using widgets, Swype and screen size as their tools. Because iOS will never see widgets like Android, Swype refused to sell to Apple so that is a dead avenue and Apple has some dumb idea that a certain width phone is the only way to go.