What's new

I screwed my display up, cant figure it out

Farmhouselady

Reaction score
In a flurry of settings-adjusting last night, trying to turn data usage way down, i must have done something really ignorant. (Only got this my first iphone a week ago... still pretty clueless about it. Always had androids.)

So now when the screen locks (after 30 seconds), it doesnt go completely dark, instead it just dims like it normally would do for a few seconds before darkening the rest of the way, and it just stays at that hue FOREVER, using excess battery juice when all i am doing is listening to an audiobook.

Ive spent probably a couple hours checking every setting, trying to restore all to their "normal" position (last night my battery was low and i didnt have the charger at hand so i was attempting to just turn almost everything that used the battey off temporarily, being basically too lazy in my bed to travel all the way to get the charger: there, now you know the sordid truth....)

I can find NO CLUE in every ?!$&@ setting in the phone, or in the entire user guide, to steer me to the right setting to fix this. It is bugging the crap out of me. I have tried every adjustment that even smells like it might have something way distant to do with this pickle i have gotten myself into but i am just not having any luck. And when genius has run out, one can only hope for some good luck.

Any ideas on what I might try?

Welcome to iPhoneForums!

I had a similar problem with my 7 Plus some time ago. Force starting helped.

To force start your iPhone, press and hold Home and Power button (on a 7 and 7 Plus: Volume down and Power button) at the same time, until you see the Apple logo. As soon as it's visible, let go of both buttons. Your device will power up on it's own.

If that doesn't help, reset all settings (Settings - General - Reset - Reset All Settings). That will set back your settings to default.

Last edited:
You can also temporarily reduce power consumption by going to Settings>Battery>Low Power Mode.

Try also turning off "Raise to wake" under Settings>Display and brightness>toggle raise to wake.

Open settings, display and cycle the auto brightness off and on. Do it early enough in the day that the night shift isn't on yet. See if that helps