What's new

I need advice for travel to UK

ardchoille

Reaction score
I have been given a new job as an editor of a large family blog (Clan Gregor Society) and have been asked to make a post about travel to the UK. The problem is that I haven't traveled outside the US since the early 1990's, so I have no experience with traveling with a cell phone. I need some good tips for my blog post. Any takers?

I have been given a new job as an editor of a large family blog (Clan Gregor Society) and have been asked to make a post about travel to the UK. The problem is that I haven't traveled outside the US since the early 1990's, so I have no experience with traveling with a cell phone. I need some good tips for my blog post. Any takers?
Avoid roaming charges. Downloading 1 email could cost you. Use wifi as much as possible. Can you swap out your SIM card?

If your phone is unlocked, you can go into virtually any store and buy a pay-as-you go plan. You'll get a SIM card with it which can be put into the phone. I got such a plan from 3 Mobile (in Ireland) and had unlimited 3G internet and a certain amount of talk time/text messages (I forgot how much ... never used them). The 3G was smokin' fast and the whole plan cost me about 20€. Oh, and it's not like here in the USA - the plan was good until the 20€ was used up (or a year, whichever came first). So, fast, unlimited internet for 20€. I still miss it... :)

Now, my phone is an AT&T one, so it was/is compatible with that service. But, there are some phones that are not compatible with overseas carriers.

So, my biggest advice to a person going overseas - make sure your phone will work in the country you visit. Lots of sites on the internet will help in that research.

Marilyn

You may also want to make sure to turn off your “push” email setting, so the phone doesn't automatically download messages and burn data. Also, Google Maps works better than Apple Maps there. Google Maps shows more of the smaller streets. I would just use a paper map.

I'm going to have to bow out of this project. There is so much information about the various carriers, mobile platforms, and countries from which people would be travelling that it would require several pages. Is it any wonder why some people are confused about their phone?

Wow, I never knew that. I always assumed people in Europe got a different charger than we did.

Oh wow, let me clarify my statement. I did have to have the plug adapter but not the voltage adapter. Many apologies for my "mispost". Sorry!

Its ok, odds are I won't retain any of this so I know when I get to make my next trip I am going to have to come in here and get a list of what i need from everyone and it looks like Ardchoille is going to be able to help me out lots!

First of all, put a charger with you to charge your phone and secondly, always use wifi while traveling because it will connect you with the world.