What's new

How do you know if an iPhone 4 is unlocked?

Garsch

Reaction score
I'm looking at this phone and I want to know how to tell its unlocked... How do you do it in general? Look at this on eBay:

RED APPLE IPHONE 4 - 16GB - UNLOCKED

http://bit.ly/MipweE

It can be if it was bought directly from Apple off contract.

You can say its unlock if you can use any carrier sim on it

I bought an ip4 off ebay bnib locked to T-Mobile to replace my smashed phone, while still under contract.

This was likely an unwanted upgrade sold on, after i did the transaction Ebay pulled the vendor, and i thought i'd get a call recovering stolen phone, to late for me as i pay on the fall if the hammer, fortunately i had no problems.

I'm due to renew my contract in September, so asked T-Mobil for it to be unlocked on Wednesday, amazed i got the unlock email on the Saturday - i was expecting 3 - 4 weeks mot days :).

Nice to report good things do happen and wonderful service given by 2 very big companies :).

Big 'up' to both and hope this helps

Are you sure?!!? But you can't unlock and use an iPhone 4 without a sim card inserted and if you look in the top left corner it says "No Sim"

Garsch said:
Are you sure?!!? But you can't unlock and use an iPhone 4 without a sim card inserted and if you look in the top left corner it says "No Sim"

That does not mean it is locked or unlocked,..it just means there is no SIM in it.lol.

RIPx1xRIP said:
You can say its unlock if you can use any carrier sim on it

But how would you know I'd it's on eBay?

Definitely not going to buy and just stick a SIM in and hope it works ya know?

The seller has good feedback, I see no reason to doubt the seller.

Sent from my SGH-T959 using Tapatalk 2

Mr.Mischief said:
The seller has good feedback, I see no reason to doubt the seller.

Your right your rite...the feedback counts as well.

Feedback is a guide but very subjective, might be a great buyer but a lousy seller.

You can massage your feed back by selling many low value junk items to get a good 'rep' then bang out some expensivee bad stuff. By the time your pulled you've made your money.

Why its best imho to use Paypal not cash on high value items.

Feedback is a guide but very subjective, might be a great buyer but a lousy seller.

You can massage your feed back by selling many low value junk items to get a good 'rep' then bang out some expensivee bad stuff. By the time your pulled you've made your money.

Why its best imho to use Paypal not cash on high value items.

PayPay and eBay have the same buyer protection features. Most items purchased on eBay are purchased with PayPal.

Mr.Mischief said:
PayPay and eBay have the same buyer protection features. Most items purchased on eBay are purchased with PayPal.

True, but using PayPal you have direct undisputed proof of payment so ease of reimbursement, pay cash, its your word against the vendor if they day you never paid.

True, but using PayPal you have direct undisputed proof of payment so ease of reimbursement, pay cash, its your word against the vendor if they day you never paid.

I've never come across an eBay seller who accepts cash. I'm pretty sure that's not even an option.

Its the risk of purchasing any such products online from ebay or elsewhere.

You take the risk of the seller lying to you.
You take the risk the phone is unlocked, but damages so can't be used.
You take the risk of getting an empty box when it arrives.

You can not tell if its unlocked just because someone says so, you want proof
ask them to do a video showing the phone is unlocked and sims can be changed and
to show you the about info of the phone being unlocked and again when sims are changed
and to show you what firmware its on and ios.

Problem is no seller going to go through all that hassle for one person.

It could only be unlocked due the firm ware by Two Ways
1. Bought from apple straight out
2. Bought straight out from a retailer and then paid for a unlock or free
from certain carriers.

So you take the risk is all and paypal has a dispute option so you can get your money
back, i pay by credit card through paypal cause my credit card like most cards (not all)
all for money back if you get ripped off. Paypal can take weeks to get money back.

So again its a risk you take.