What's new

Having trouble loading in my own ringtones and pictures

timbo59

Reaction score
I spent the last couple of hours following a few helpful tips - (How to install iPhone Ringtones - on how to convert mp3 ringtones I made for my old Blackberry into M4r files for the IPhone. I had 12 of them, but when I dropped them into the tone section of Itunes and tried syncing them to the phone, only 6 would go through, with the others coming up with error message stating they couldn't be found. Weird, because they were all put in at the same time, from the same source - my desktop. I tried deleting and repeating the process, and same 6 files came up as errors.

Also, how do I add pictures in? The tutorial on board tells me how to get pictures off, not how to put them in - I like to have a personalized picture of the main people who call me come up as their calls come in.

Sorry for being such a nube - after years and years of using other phones I've finally switched to an IPhone, so there's a bit of a learning curve involved for me.

Welcome to iPhoneForums, timbo59!

To add pictures to a contact:
The photo has to be in your Photos app. You can't add them from anywhere else.
Go to the contacts app. Tap one of the contacts to which you intend to add a picture. Tap "Edit" at the top right. You'll find the name of your contact at the top, and to the left "add photo" in a small circle. Tap it.
Then a popup will appear at the bottom. Select "Choose Photo" there. All the albums from your Photos app will become visible. Tap the one with the photo you need. Then tap the image. The next option is to move and scale the picture. If you think it fits perfectly, tap "Choose" at the bottom right. Now tap "Done" (top right). The picture should be visible next to your contact's name now.

You're also able to take a photo after tapping "add photo", which makes the whole procedure a bit shorter. As soon as the picture is taken, it will appear in "Move and Scale". All you have to do now, is choose it (Use Photo), and tap "Done" to save it.

Hope that helps.

To transfer a photo from your PC to the iPhone, you must use iTunes and sync that folder (under Photos) to your iPhone. Then, as JA says, edit the contact and add the photo from your photo library. In addition, if you view a photo while on your iPhone (say from Facebook) if you click on the icon that is a box with an arrow pointing out of it, one of the options it will give you is to assign it to a contact.