What's new

Handoff between iOS devices?

ardchoille

Reaction score
I can't seem to get handoff to work between my iPhone 6 and my new iPad Pro. I have the two settings in Settings > General > Handoff & Suggested Apps enabled on both devices. As I'm typing this post on my iPad Pro, the iPhone 6 should have a Safari icon in the lower left corner of the lock screen to show that I'm working in Safari on the iPad Pro. But, there is no icon present. I've also not seen icons on the lock screen of the iPad Pro when working from the iPhone 6. I'm probably doing something wrong, I just need to learn how to set Handoff up on both devices.

Any thoughts or ideas?

Is Bluetooth enabled on both devices? Are they connected to the same network/Wi-Fi?
They are on the same Wi-Fi network, but I don't have Bluetooth enabled on either device. Is Bluetooth required? If so, will this run the battery down on both devices quicker than it otherwise would? I had forgotten about Bluetooth. I knew I was doing something wrong, lol.

Handoff doesn't work without Bluetooth.
Of course it will drain the battery quicker than without it, but it's just marginally quicker than without Bluetooth enabled. That's my experience.

Handoff doesn't work without Bluetooth.
Of course it will drain the battery quicker than without it, but it's just marginally quicker than without Bluetooth enabled.
OK, yes, that's why it wasn't working. Thank you very much for your reply. I'll try to keep an eye on the battery life.

Well, here's a surprise I didn't know about. It seems that, not only does Safari keep track of tabs open in other devices, you can even close those tabs from elsewhere.

This screenshot is from my iPhone 6. This image shows a list of tabs open in Safari on my iPad Pro - in the upstairs den - and I can even control them from the iPhone in the basement of the house!:

image.png