What's new

General Questions about Iphone 4

m109rider

Reaction score
Hello all!

I just bought my first ever Apple product (Unless you can count the Apple IIe we owned back in the 80's :D , anyone still have one?)

I've been on a few brands of phones over the years, Nokia, Sony and a couple of different Blackberries. Currently I am a owner of a Storm 2 9550.

Well, a few weeks ago I had the last straw with the damn BB, too darn slow, can't do multimedia functions well at all and the one feature I DID want about it was the local xvid/divx video you can play on it. Nope, not after the last update I did to the phone, broke more things then fix anything else.

Anyway, long story short... I purchased an Iphone 4 32gig Factory Unlocked device from the apple store.

My questions are:

1: Being a factory unlocked device, what risks do I have after jailbreaking my phone? Can the phone ever be locked?

2: The cable for the charger/usb cord looks really really short... Does anyone have one thats at least 3 to 6 feet at minimum?

3: Is there a modification at all that lets you use your Iphone as a USB Device instead of having to use itunes all the time?

4: Are there "Apps" that can modify almost any feature of the phone Aka: Set ringtone profiles or different sounds for email ETC other then using whatever apple makes you use

5: Is there or will there be a way to control the quality of videos/pictures on the phone to save space?

6: Is it true that you can't bluetooth files to and from the device?

7: How do you people navigate the device without a "Back" button. I've found from trying a friends phone that sometimes if you change screens by pressing the home button, whatever it was that was running before is now closed and you have to start again.. maybe like a game or something...

8: Being a current blackberry user, is there anything I should know about the iphone??

Thank you so much for your time reading and or answering this post! Have a great week :)

My questions are:

1: Being a factory unlocked device, what risks do I have after jailbreaking my phone? Can the phone ever be locked?

Since its factory unlocked, why do u need to jailbreak?

2: The cable for the charger/usb cord looks really really short... Does anyone have one thats at least 3 to 6 feet at minimum?

There are. You can see apple store, or check it in E-bay. I bought 1.0 m cable in Ebay for just AU$ 10.00 (Search as iphone extension cable)

3: Is there a modification at all that lets you use your Iphone as a USB Device instead of having to use itunes all the time?

Of course you can use it as usb device. But you can’t access those file in iphone. But you can access via any PCs.

4: Are there "Apps" that can modify almost any feature of the phone Aka: Set ringtone profiles or different sounds for email ETC other than using whatever apple makes you use.

You can set ring different tone to each contact. If you go to a particular contact, then go to edit, then you will see the ringtone. But I don’t know that you can create a group of contact in iphone. To set different ring for email and such, go to setting>sound. Then you will find them.

There are threads in this forum, how to create custom ringtone. (FYI)

5: Is there or will there be a way to control the quality of videos/pictures on the phone to save space?

As I know, No.

6: Is it true that you can't bluetooth files to and from the device?

As I know, YES. There is a only way to transfer a file via itune, which will allow to transfer viewable files only.

7: How do you people navigate the device without a "Back" button. I've found from trying a friends phone that sometimes if you change screens by pressing the home button, whatever it was that was running before is now closed and you have to start again.. maybe like a game or something...

I think, if you keep a screen in a application, if you press home button, and if you go to again to that apps, you will see same window. I have never seen an exit option in Iphone.

8: Being a current blackberry user, is there anything I should know about the iphone??

I never used blackberry. So I can’t help on this regards. As I am nokia user before, I found bit hard to use it. But after 1 week this is the best phone. If you are a frequent call maker, there is a small prob. While you make call, sometimes the hold, mute or other option might disturb you.

1. I too purchased a factory unlocked iPhone 4 and jailbroke it w/ limera1n. Absolutely no problems and if ever you want to remove the jailbreak, you simply restore the phone using iTunes.

3. There could be several software / apps for this. I bought DigiDNA DiskAid (bought the bundle of DiskAid, TuneAid & PicsAid for $23.92 after coupon)

6. Again, there could be several apps for this. This what I came across recently.

7. All the open apps can be seen at the bottom by double pressing the Home button. We can switch to any of them by tapping the app's icon.

I would want to Jailbreak of course for the free and other unique applications that are not offered on Appstore. I would like to try what Cydia has to offer

I would want to Jailbreak of course for the free and other unique applications that are not offered on Appstore. I would like to try what Cydia has to offer

Head on over to our hacking section and get started! :)

Thank you sir! I have been reading the posts on the latest Jailbreaking but I am not yet sure which way to go when I get the phone. I'll keep my eyes open and once I am fully confident nothing bad will happen I will do the Jailbreak.

Still waiting on shipment of my phone to arrive. Ordered Sept 30 and "Net yet shipped" according to their website GRRRR:mad::mad::mad:

My questions are:

My main concern was regarding what happens to the "unlocked" feature of the phone... Is it possible to get a phone "relocked"? Is there a chance that somehow an update or jailbreak can do something to the phone to cause it to lock into Telus for example... Just asking because I can't seem to find that answer anywhere specifically!

My questions are:

My main concern was regarding what happens to the "unlocked" feature of the phone... Is it possible to get a phone "relocked"? Is there a chance that somehow an update or jailbreak can do something to the phone to cause it to lock into Telus for example... Just asking because I can't seem to find that answer anywhere specifically!

If you purchased it unlocked it will always be unlocked nothing to do with the jailbreak or the available unlock (that you have because you purchased it permanently unlocked).

Is it possible to get a phone "relocked"?

Impossible. If so, you can get it as unlocked from your network provider. They cant lock your phone. If you have purchased as a plan, then untill your contract finished, its their phone. After end of contract you can unlock them.

Regarding jailbreak, I have not done that yet.

Fantastic, so I can just jailbreak my phone and be happy with it, no worrying about unlock codes or unlock programs again... Expensive, but worth it in my opinion.

How can you buy the unlocked phone? I went over to AppleStore the other day and they told me they dont sell unlocked!!

How can you buy the unlocked phone? I went over to AppleStore the other day and they told me they dont sell unlocked!!

Im in Canada. I just ordered it from our Canadian Apple Website