What's new

First iPhone, convince me to keep it

Status
Not open for further replies.

BlueZilla_ms3

Reaction score
hello, android user sense cupcake. Decided to kind of jump ship but not sure. Gonna test the waters for 14 days.

This is my first IPhone, 6s+ And so far it a mixed bag of loves, hates and just WTF.

I joined the forum to learn a few things and maybe get convinced to stick the 14 days out and keep it.

So far I have equal pros n cons so it's a hard one lol.

Pros. Build, camera, heptic feedback is epic, lots of Google and Microsoft apps. Keyboard is slick and love the sms app. 3D Touch is pimp for shortcuts.

Cons. Screen blows. Sorry but Sammy and LG crush it, lag (it's not bad and my N6, X2015 and note 5 all have a little lag here n there), news feed is a buzz kill, battery life, getting to app settings

The make me want to throw it in the trash. Can't change what's shown in the news feed in spotlight, absolutely no way to turn off sent text sound without turning everything off.

There's more but those are the big thing.

Looking forward to learning the platform!
Thanks everyone!

image.png
hello, android user sense cupcake. Decided to kind of jump ship but not sure. Gonna test the waters for 14 days.

This is my first IPhone, 6s+ And so far it a mixed bag of loves, hates and just WTF.

I joined the forum to learn a few things and maybe get convinced to stick the 14 days out and keep it.

So far I have equal pros n cons so it's a hard one lol.

Pros. Build, camera, heptic feedback is epic, lots of Google and Microsoft apps. Keyboard is slick and love the sms app. 3D Touch is pimp for shortcuts.

Cons. Screen blows. Sorry but Sammy and LG crush it, lag (it's not bad and my N6, X2015 and note 5 all have a little lag here n there), news feed is a buzz kill, battery life, getting to app settings

The make me want to throw it in the trash. Can't change what's shown in the news feed in spotlight, absolutely no way to turn off sent text sound without turning everything off.

There's more but those are the big thing.

Looking forward to learning the platform!
Thanks everyone!
Settings>Sounds> Text tone. Select none. See photo attached.
Newsfeed is new to all of us and so far I am sticking to the Flipboard app (free in the App Store). I have turned off newsfeed in spotlight. I have friends who like it but I don't.
The biggest benefit is just like the ad says, it works. It's pretty intuative. Give it a chance. And the battery life is great.

Last edited:

Your right, there is no switch or setting to mute the text tones. The workaround I use to accomplish this was to download a "silent" ringtone. Now just go into the sounds setting and select the silent ringtone for messages.

You can however select individuals to mute them. When in their text message screen, click "details" in the far upper right corner and there is an option "Do No Disturb". That will mute tones from that individual. Just have to remember who you've silenced in case you want to have them alert you.

Oops, sorry I misread your post. I was thinking you wanted to mute incoming text tones, not the tone it makes when you press "send"

Yea I'm looking to just mute the sms outgoing sound but looking like that's not going to happen.

I've got the news feed off, hopefully there will be an update for it.

Is there a way to enable heptic feedback on the keyboard?

Did you try what I suggested to take care of the text sounds?
Also, go to the App Store and see what keyboards are available that might suit your taste.

Did you try what I suggested to take care of the text sounds?
Also, go to the App Store and see what keyboards are available that might suit your taste.

I like the stock keyboard just wish it had heptic feedback. I don't want to turn of notifications i just want the stupid sent sound to go away, I can turn of the outgoing email sound but not for text

I do really wish we could change the sent text tone on all iPhones. It's something that wouldn't take Apple much to make it possible.

I do really wish we could change the sent text tone on all iPhones. It's something that wouldn't take Apple much to make it possible.

Ikr you can do it for everything else but text!?

I changed to an iPhone from a Note 4. Unfortunately no one can convince you to keep the iPhone. You have to weigh it's capabilities against your needs and wants to make that decision. No one device is for everyone.

I changed to an iPhone from a Note 4. Unfortunately no one can convince you to keep the iPhone. You have to weigh it's capabilities against your needs and wants to make that decision. No one device is for everyone.

Very true! I guess it comes down to the lesser of two evils

It sure does. I have extensive experience with Android, so this is my first Apple phone since the iPhone 3. I think I can say that it all boils down to personal preference. You won't really be under served by either platform.

Same boat as the OP (first time iphone user), but I don't need convincing. I love this thing!

Your battery life sucks? Compared to Android? Really? I've had several of both devices and I can say, the one thing that doesn't suck about iPhones is the battery life. Completely blows any Android phone I've ever had out of the water. We're talking 50% longer lasting than iPhone. I had the iPhone 6 Plus for most of this year and switched to the Edge + recently because of hotspot issues. Battery life went from charging the iPhone every 2 days to charging the Edge + every 8 hours.

With my usage yes my nexus 6 in better by an hour, but I may have a **** unit because with my usage I can't make it 8 hours on a charge and that was on a average days use, hour of YouTube, 30-45 min of dead trigger 2, lots of insta and text, 4 hours of streaming music and an hour or so of web.
I can pull 6 hours SOT on my nexus and make it all day with that same usage 7:00am till 6pm and when I had my turbo 8 hours SOT easy.

Now my usage doesn't change too much day to day nor does my cell signal 3/4 bars and battery life on this thing swings like crazy, I've killed it dead in 4 hours yesterday 10% by noon, now today same usage it's 1 and I'm sitting at 52%. With 3h 43m shown usage. What is even more puzzling is Wednesday I was able to make it from 7am to 9pm on a charge, nothing has been changed on the phone.

Oh and yes I cycled the battery when I first got the phone.

Status
Not open for further replies.