What's new

Facebook Camera and Possible Data Transfer Issue

VladTheEmailer

Reaction score
Last week I downloaded the new Facebook camera app to my iPhone4. Last Friday, June 1 - three days into my new billing cycle - I received a notice from ATT that I had exceeded my data plan. This was without the usual 65% notice that precedes it. A 45-minute conversation with ATT revealed that I had just incurred a 307-megabyte data transfer spike over the course of an hour, but of course they did not know the specifics. I and ATT are at a loss to understand how this could have happened. I rarely stream music or videos and am very careful that when I do so I'm in WiFi. The only thing I have done recently was download this Facebook camera app, so I'm thinking there may be a connection between these two events, and would like to know if anyone else has experienced such a data transfer spike and if they know what prompted it.

This is just a WAG as I don't use FaceBook. Maybe it was uploading all your photos to the cloud, whether you wanted to or not. Maybe there's a way to tell the FaceBook app to only use WiFi.

Yeah, I'm coming around to the belief that Facebook Camera initiated the upload of the entire contents of my phone to the cloud. One thing this has prompted me to do is go in and clean up my photo files and weed out a bunch of useless shots that I had just left sitting there. I also backed my phone up to iTunes. The WiFi-only option was be helpful too. I may ask Apple tech support about that.

Thanks for the reply Poco!