What's new

Crummy 3G Coverage Richmond Texas Area

mfterka

Reaction score
So today, during the floods sweeping thru Richmond,Tx I decided to do my bit (had the day off) and upload pics and video to local news websites & The Weather Channel. Unfortunately due to lousy cellular transmission rates under 3G I ended up uploading ONE pic taken from my 4S out of the videos/pics (damn good pic too - terrific camera) and that was from one I transferred to my desktop which of course has Broadband.

I did a Speedtest and got 6kbps d/l - 4 kbps u/l (seriously) in my area. A good WiFi source in my area gives me 23 MPS / 6 MPS. So scratch the idea of being a good citizen reporter just using local 3G.

My carrier, ATT, recently rolled out 4G / LTE, whatever - into the Houston area and even though my 4S isn't compatible(unlike some Droids), it still shows a BIG jump in cellular data transmission speeds over previously, particularly over my old iPhone 3G. If I go out to an area closer to Houston out on a highway the transmission jumps to at least 5-7 MPS
d/l & 1-3 MPS u/l.

Anybody else notice significant variations in cell transmission rates in their area. After today I'm wondering if being able to get news out to an organization via your cell phone depends heavily on being lucky enough to be in an area of good cell data coverage.