What's new

Error 139 on Netflix, iPhone 4s

joelew2010

Reaction score
Hello there,

I have recently signed up for a free trial on Netflix and had no trouble watching over wifi however when I attempt to watch anything over 3g, the video fails to load and it gives me an error 139 message.

I have googled this error and not had much luck.

At first I thought it may be due to a slow 3g connection, however I tested my speed and it came back as 3.5mbps which I believe is rather fast. I also have unlimited data in my phone contract.

Any help is much appreciated.

Thanks

Exactly the same here and it's annoying. I'm on the UK O2 network and only get the 139 error over 3g. It's fine over wifi. Can't seem to find any ideas/fixes on the web. It's off putting enough for me to ditch netflix after my free trial.

Exactly the same here and it's annoying. I'm on the UK O2 network and only get the 139 error over 3g. It's fine over wifi. Can't seem to find any ideas/fixes on the web. It's off putting enough for me to ditch netflix after my free trial.

Any success finding a cure?

Hi,

I spoke to Netflix - useless. Told me it'd be working in an hour and it wasn't

What I have learnt is that if I watch something on the iPhone over wifi then press the sleep button at the top, if I then go back into Netflix when I no longer have a wifi connection, the netflix player is paused and if I press play, lo and behold the video starts streaming over 3g! But, the minute I exit player and then try and play something else or the samething over 3g, I get the 139 error.

This leads me to think it's a network (O2) thing. I'm on a non-iphone tariff with unlinmited data. I wonder if the network knows to block requests to stream iphone netflix video from a non iphone tariff?? Seems like something is recognised in the 'initiate new video' stream which is then blocked, whereas streaming part way through a video is not recognised.