What's new

dropped 3GS - how to restore

You can only restore to earlier firmware if you have the SHSH blob saved for them. You need to go into the advanced tab and select "Request SHSH from Cydia" to see if you have your SHSH for earlier firmware saved, otherwise you can only restore 4.3.5, no other choice.

OK. From what I can tell TU is unable to retrieve my SHSH (I did have Cydia installed on my 3GS).

So...Can you please tell me how to update to 4.3.5?

Is there a JB and unlock available for 4.3.5?

Many thanks for your patience. I have to conclude from all the methods I have tried to restore, that I am unable to retrieve my SHSH.

My fault, but I did post here when I first got the phone requesting info on what I needed to do to ensure I could restore, and at that time I got no response.

If you could walk me through the restore to 4.3.5 I would appreciate it greatly!

I used this link to find my ECID:
iClarified - iPhone - How to Find Your iPhone ECID [Windows]

I used that to manually enter that number in tiny umbrella. This returned 5 SHSH blobs.

This surprised me. I did not unlock this phone myself, but I have never upgraded it, so I am not sure why it shows 5 blobs.

I also get these shsh displayed listed for a recovery device each time I try to restore in itunes. I have attached a screenshot of TU window.

Doesn't matter anyway, as I am getting error 1611 now.
This is the process I am using.
1. Open TU, and start TSS server. I click on my iphone in the device pane (I have no idea if that is necessary or not).

2. Open redns0w, and point it to the official 4.1 FW (I do not know what FW was on the phone when it crashed). I click on "just enter pwned dfu mode.
Redsn0w does its thing, walks me through putting device in pwned dfu mode.

3. I open itunes (version 10.4) and do a shift-click restore, and point it to a custom 4.3.3 ISPW file I created with snowbreeze version 2.7.3.
Itunes starts the processes of restoring, and I get a 1611 error.

Any ideas what I am doing wrong, or what I can try next?

Thanks for any help.

Attachments

• $TU screenshot.jpg
    $TU screenshot.jpg
    15.5 KB · Views: 332
Using redsn0w v. 0.9.8b7.

Pointed redsn0w to 4.1, and itunes to 4.3.3 - error 1611.

Pointed redsn0w to 4.3.3, and itunes to 4.3.3 - error 1611.

Must be something weird with this phone. The software or FW seems to make no difference.

Thank again for the help. Not sure what to try next.

Took the phone to a local guy that does repairs. He said his guess was it needed a new battery. He replaced it and the phone booted up perfectly with no lost data, problem solved.

I still do not understand it, as it would try to boot when plugged in. The guy told me it must have a battery to work. Also unsure how a drop screwed the battery, but he said he had seen that also. The battery was working fine before I dropped the phone, so I never suspected it.

Anyway, I have the phone functioning properly now.

I want to thank everyone, especially Jmills87 for all the help and patience!!

Glad you got it sorted out. It's really hard to diagnose an issue after dropping your phone since it could be any number of hardware related problems. Luckily the guy was able to replace the battery for you and everything is working fine now!