What's new

bought used 3GS, already unlocked-how do I backup?

mgh

Reaction score
Hello All,

I have searched, and I know there is info around, but I have not been able to find it, I must not be using the proper search terms, so please excuse questions that I know have been asked before.

I picked up a used 3GS, and it is working perfectly with T-Mobile SIM card.

It has firmware 06.15.00. I did not know that firmware was unlockable. Software version 4.1

1. How do I back up the current setup?

2. Is there a way to set up a restore point that I can use in the future, and a way to restore to this without updating the firmware?

3. Will itunes warn me before updating the iphone software, so that I can reject the update?

Thanks for any advice, I have learned a lot here, but still have a lot to learn!

That's the iPad baseband. If you ever need to restore you will need a custom ipsw with that baseband. If you try a normal restore via iTunes you will just get an error.

1. Just back up as normal via iTunes

2. If you go to settings > general > reset, you can erase all contents and settings which will set the phone back to the way it came out of the box but on the same firmware and baseband. *I'm unsure if it will work with the iPad baseband*

3. iTunes will give you the option to install any updates...

That's the iPad baseband.

OK, that makes sense with what you have been teaching me, and with what I have read.

Many thanks for all the help. I am excited to have the iphone.