What's new

Download speed

galaxyman

Reaction score
I am getting a download speed (Mbps) of between 1.86 and 2.59 via the ookla iOS app. Is this an acceptable download speed I can expect from my service provider? I have recently purchased Apple TV and it can take 3-4hrs before an itunes rented film is ready to watch. Is this the norm or can I expect more? Should I be contacting my broadband provider on this? Thanks for your advice. Can I expect ookla iOS app to provide an accurate reading?

There are so many variables that there is no way at all for us to answer your question! First of all...just how much are you PAYING for? That will tell if your speed is acceptable. You should get what you pay for.

As to Ookla, it does a great job of measuring speed. But here again...what kind of router system do you have set up and we can't possibly know if your router is working correctly.

In an ideal world, your end report on Ookla should be what you are paying your ISP to provide!

I discovered from a Radio Shack employee that metal can interfere with wifi signals. Even rebar in walls. I was having an issue where I got 30Mbps download in the room with the modem, but 30' away in another room I got 1.3Mbps. So I followed the path of the signal, and discovered a large 26 cu ft fridge in the path. I pulled it out about 4' and the signal increased to 12Mbps. Just one of those variables.