What's new

Does wifi use up data?

Tbowles08

Reaction score
Seems like a simple question, but idk, and my service provider is closed on Sunday's. Again, I know it's probably an easy answer, but I'm new to all this technology/data stuff.

I'm not expert on that, but I wouldn't think if you're using another wifi network so you're not using your cell provider's network that it should NOT count for your data usage. That's my guess anyway.

If you connected to your wifi the 3G symbol will not be in the top left, it will be like the wifi signals.... This means you are connected to another network other than your service provider. At that point you can freely surf the net or do anything without going against your data usage.... Wifi will not affect your data plan at all.

Wifi use data; 3G use data, Edge/GPRS use data. When your phone is connected to wifi, it's using a wifi data, if you are not connected to wifi, then you will be on 3G which is using your 3G data. The type of network you are connected to will be display on the status bar so you can know if you are on 3G or if you are on wifi. In some rare cases, you will be on wifi and your phone will still be using your 3G data (Cases like you were on the go and then have your VPN turned ON, then when you arrive at home, your iPhone found the wifi and connect to it but couldn't arrive to turn off the VPN, in this case where the VPN is still on, it's on over 3G and all data you will exchange will be made on the 3G while you will be thinking that you are on wifi because you will see the wifi sign in the status bar of your phone. So if you use VPN while on the go, make sure that when your phone find and connect to wifi, it auto turn off the VPN, if not then turn off the VPN manually.) Other than that, there is no worries about your 3G data when you are on wifi.

bab2010 said:
Wifi use data; 3G use data, Edge/GPRS use data. When your phone is connected to wifi, it's using a wifi data, if you are not connected to wifi, then you will be on 3G which is using your 3G data. The type of network you are connected to will be display on the status bar so you can know if you are on 3G or if you are on wifi. In some rare cases, you will be on wifi and your phone will still be using your 3G data (Cases like you were on the go and then have your VPN turned ON, then when you arrive at home, your iPhone found the wifi and connect to it but couldn't arrive to turn off the VPN, in this case where the VPN is still on, it's on over 3G and all data you will exchange will be made on the 3G while you will be thinking that you are on wifi because you will see the wifi sign in the status bar of your phone. So if you use VPN while on the go, make sure that when your phone find and connect to wifi, it auto turn off the VPN, if not then turn off the VPN manually.) Other than that, there is no worries about your 3G data when you are on wifi.

Wifi does NOT USE DATA from your cell phone plan at all.

Sent from my iPhone using iPF.net

Wifi does NOT USE DATA from your cell phone plan at all.

Sent from my iPhone using iPF.net
I said that there are some very rare cases where even though you are connected to your wifi all your streaming will be going on over your 3G. I gave one of those rare cases example there. I'm talking from experience and with 100 of iPhones, not from experience with 1 iPhone. But again there is no worries about those rare cases it happens really really rarely and only on defective iPhones, iPhones like those which cut off the wifi connection over a period of time of not using the phone (even though the wifi signal is still showing up in the status bar, you will not be able to browse internet or do a thing related to internet and only was to solve it is to restart the iPhone) These are some of the defective iPhones which can pretend to be on wifi where by they are using your 3G in fact.
Google about "Wifi connection auto disconnect/ auto cut off" there are few people complaining about it on Apple forum too.

I think some later routers will 'sleep' if WiFi use is not active for a period of time, but thats only a few really recent ones.

Iphone defaults to WiFi if available, then G3.

In theory it should not drop out but some users find their WiFi is not 100% reliable for what ever reason.

So the answer to the O/P? Maybe ;)

If you're using a wireless network not the 3G data roaming of your phone provider's network then it's not using any of your data allowance.

Easy way to test this - put iPhone to "airplane mode" and then use your net based apps with wireless and you should be able to see what is going on.

As a AT&T employee, there are some instances where you data does come off your data plan even while on WiFi. Ex checking visual voicemail, some radio usage, etc.

Also, if you start a session on cellular network and then walk into a WiFi area, you are still using your data plan, even if you see the WiFi signal, because it started on cellular network.

You must stop the connection and start over once in WiFi area.

When you sleep at night, your data is constantly streaming whether your downloading anything or not. So shut everything off.

Yes Data is used even if on wifi.
I am with Bell and it seems that my wifi is not providing answers fast enough for the iphone 4s. This visible especially in AppStore. When on wifi (and 3G active in bgd) the updates in app are faster than wifi only. So every time I get home I turn off 3G.

4s_mtl said:
Yes Data is used even if on wifi.
I am with Bell and it seems that my wifi is not providing answers fast enough for the iphone 4s. This visible especially in AppStore. When on wifi (and 3G active in bgd) the updates in app are faster than wifi only. So every time I get home I turn off 3G.

Data is used when it's connected to wifi however it will not affect the monthly data allowance.

إيكرانك...المسطرة

Data is used when it's connected to wifi however it will not affect the monthly data allowance.

إيكرانك...المسطرة

How cold data be used w/o it affecting the monthly data allowance? I thought usage = tracking data allowance = less minutes or extra charges?

philinpdx said:
How cold data be used w/o it affecting the monthly data allowance? I thought usage = tracking data allowance = less minutes or extra charges?

Because you pay for internet usage and when you have WiFi on it uses that WiFi is the internet bully. It takes over you get what I'm.saying.