What's new

Do metal bumpers impede cell signal

hoben02

Reaction score
I'll have to experiment a little more but i bought a metal bumper and in the same location was having trouble getting lte

They can interfere with the cellular and WiFi signals if they cover the antennas and are too thick to allow the signals through. Your experiments are a good idea. Try the iPhone with and without the bumper in areas where you normally use the phone.

I love metal bumpers and always have them on my iPhones.
Some do knock down the signal and some are worse than others but so far I haven't had one that gives too much of a problem.

At the moment I am using a Seidio metal bumper on my iPhone 6 and my signal is down to two dots, I don't get LTE anyway.
I also use a Verus Iron Shield and that doesn't give me a problem either.

I had to return a beautiful case because the metal frame cut the wifi signal so much it just was not worth it. I believe it
is because of where the iPhone puts it's antenna. Never had an issue with my Samsung S

I had to return a beautiful case because the metal frame cut the wifi signal so much it just was not worth it. I believe it
is because of where the iPhone puts it's antenna. Never had an issue with my Samsung S
It would certainly help is these case designers would take the time to learn where the antennas were before designing a case with metal in it.

It would certainly help is these case designers would take the time to learn where the antennas were before designing a case with metal in it.
I agree, It a shame when you find that perfect case and it doesn't play nice with your phone.
Manufacturers have known about this issue for some time now.