What's new

Copy and Save Photos. iOS 8.1.2

pat100

Reaction score
I'd like to duplicate a photo before editing it so I can work on the copy whilst retaining the original in case it all goes pear-shaped. How can I do this?

On my iPhone 6 it does that all by itself

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'd like to duplicate a photo before editing it so I can work on the copy whilst retaining the original in case it all goes pear-shaped. How can I do this?
The original image is retained no matter what edits you have done. You always gave the option to undo your edits and revert to the original photo. Duplicating the photo isn't neccessary and takes up extra storage space.

Duplicating the photo isn't neccessary and takes up extra storage space.

If I really want to duplicate - e.g. I want to retain several versions of the same photo cropped to different sizes for use in various different places - is there any way that I CAN duplicate or copy a photo to my Camera Roll? I have plenty of storage space (Famous last words...
  • :rolleyes:
)

If I really want to duplicate - e.g. I want to retain several versions of the same photo cropped to different sizes for use in various different places - is there any way that I CAN duplicate or copy a photo to my Camera Roll? I have plenty of storage space (Famous last words...
  • :rolleyes:
)
You could just make a screenshot of a photo edited to your requirements. That copy would be stored separately.

You could just make a screenshot of a photo edited to your requirements. That copy would be stored separately.

Thanks - I'll have a play with that and see how it works out for file size etc.

Or you could use an app like Snapseed or Skitch to crop it to a different size and save it back to the Camera Roll. Screenshots usually don't have the same size (KB/MB) as photos taken with a camera.

Or you could use an app like Snapseed or Skitch to crop it to a different size and save it back to the Camera Roll. Screenshots usually don't have the same size (KB/MB) as photos taken with a camera.
You're right, a screenshot has a resolution that can be quite a bit lower than the original photo, if resolution is important.