What's new

Compass on iPhone 5

hookbill

Reaction score
Since I don't know if other iPhones have it or not I'm posting here as it is an app. I don't understand what it's for. I think it has something to do with maps but I'm not sure.

Can anyone explain to me the point? And trying to do a figure 8 is a lot harder (for me) then is sounds.

It is a digital compass that uses a built in magnet for an analog reading of magnetic north. The best way to calibrate it is to hold the phone flat and and then do the figure 8 by using your shoulders as the 2 points near you and then the two points at arms length. Just do a cross over point and it should only need about 3 cycles to get a lock on.

The reason for the calibration is because the phone may have already locked on to a stronger source. I.E. you can actually use the phone to find the strength of a magnet.

Skull One said:
It is a digital compass that uses a built in magnet for an analog reading of magnetic north. The best way to calibrate it is to hold the phone flat and and then do the figure 8 by using your shoulders as the 2 points near you and then the two points at arms length. Just do a cross over point and it should only need about 3 cycles to get a lock on.

The reason for the calibration is because the phone may have already locked on to a stronger source. I.E. you can actually use the phone to find the strength of a magnet.

I'm thinking that this could be the next dance sensation to hit the streets!

The Archangel

It's for those times when you are giving directions to someone and have a brain fart and can't remember which way is north. I've used it as a test a few times walking in the woods when I had my good compass with me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks Skull for the explanation, I was doing it totally wrong and when you hold it flat like that it's easy to do the figure 8. Looks like it's right where it should be from my location now.