What's new

Changing Carriers

Smileyman56

Reaction score
I just recently bought an iPhone 4s off of Craigslist. I plan on going over seas and using it. Problem is, it's locked to verizon. I tried using SAMpref to unlock but for some reason I just get a black screen when I try to open it. I was wondering if I go into ifile and Delete zeppelin us.bundle or changed the coding to change to AT&T (just to try it before I go overseas, do you think it will work?
Oh and if someone knows what to do with SAMpref help would be appreciated too. Thanks!

I may be wrong, but I think only Verizon can unlock it for you. And I think you have to have an account with them in good standing for two months or so....IIRC from previous threads on this.

I could be totally wrong here, but I'm sure Verizon iPhones have proprietary hardware which means they cannot be used on another network.

AT&T phones, on the other hand, can be unlocked and used on other networks, including European as they have GSM technology.

Now, if I'm wrong, I'm going to learn something useful in pretty short order.

The 4s does have a sim slot that can be unlocked by the carrier for use overseas. When I got mine they said if I ever needed it to come in and they would take care of it. I also have a regional carrier and am in very good standing with them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I could be totally wrong here, but I'm sure Verizon iPhones have proprietary hardware which means they cannot be used on another network.

AT&T phones, on the other hand, can be unlocked and used on other networks, including European as they have GSM technology.

Now, if I'm wrong, I'm going to learn something useful in pretty short order.

The 4s has a SIM card that can be used overseas once it's unlocked by Verizon. Can't be done with the iPhone 4 though.

xrayeyes said:
The 4s has a SIM card that can be used overseas once it's unlocked by Verizon. Can't be done with the iPhone 4 though.

Thanks for that info. I'm back in the Dark Ages with my iPhone 4. I'll update the stuff between my ears now I know Verizon 4s's can be unlocked.