What's new

Can phone be restored to a different phone with different ios version?

Norfolkenchants

Reaction score
Currently I have a 16gb 4s, still running ios6 and I have just bought a second hand 32gb 4s which is still running ios5. I would like to transfer everything to the 32gb phone and would prefer if possible not to upgrade either to ios7 at the moment (still not convinced I want ios7 yet but fearing this exercise might force me into it!)

Having done a backup of the 16gb, can I then do a restore of that backup to the 32gb phone with the lower operating system? Would it work at all, and would that then make it an exact copy of what is on the 16gb, e.g, apps, settings, photos, data etc.? Is there a better way to duplicate everything onto the 32gb phone? I'm not too bothered about what is left on the 16gb phone as I'll be setting that up for OH to use.

Never done a restore of any description before and this is all very new to me so I hope these questions aren't too dumb!

Currently I have a 16gb 4s, still running ios6 and I have just bought a second hand 32gb 4s which is still running ios5. I would like to transfer everything to the 32gb phone and would prefer if possible not to upgrade either to ios7 at the moment (still not convinced I want ios7 yet but fearing this exercise might force me into it!) Having done a backup of the 16gb, can I then do a restore of that backup to the 32gb phone with the lower operating system? Would it work at all, and would that then make it an exact copy of what is on the 16gb, e.g, apps, settings, photos, data etc.? Is there a better way to duplicate everything onto the 32gb phone? I'm not too bothered about what is left on the 16gb phone as I'll be setting that up for OH to use. Never done a restore of any description before and this is all very new to me so I hope these questions aren't too dumb!
When you do a restore on your iPhone, the process includes updating to the latest iOS version. Your restored iPhone 4S will be on iOS 7.0.2, or whatever version is current at the time you restore.

I feared that would be the case! 😉 Other than os, would the restored 32gb still be an exact copy of everything on the 16gb?

The second hand phone has arrived but it appears to be jailbroken (it has a Cyria app) and is running IOS 5.1 with an IOS 6 update waiting. I haven't plugged it into iTunes yet.

I'm not interested in jailbreaks. Can I just update to 7 or do I need to do anything else first? Or of course will my restore discussed earlier just safely overwrite everything?

Thanks

Jan

As long as the device is restored in DFU mode, you shouldn't experience any issues with the restore. Place the device into DFU mode and click the Restore button. The appropriate iOS 7.0.2 IPSW will be downloaded and your device will be restored using that IPSW

Many thanks.

Forgive me, I'm well out of my comfort zone at this level.

Am I right in saying that for sheer simplicity, I could simply and without the need for DFU:

Connect the phone as is, to itunes and allow it to update to ios7, requiring me to do nothing else. Once updated the phone will simply be back to standard and the jailbreak apps and data gone.

Once that is completed, if required, I could restore the 32gb phone with my 16gb phone backup which will be my phone as was but 32 gb on ios7.

Thanks

Jan

Many thanks Scifan57,

Phone restored to original, updated to iOS 7 and loaded with backup from other iPhone.

Thanks to you and the forum, not a hitch in sight.

Very much appreciated

Jan

I'm glad you were able to get your phone restored and working properly. Thanks for letting us know, it may help others with the same problem.