What's new

Broke Screen Now Home Button Doesn't Work

Speedracer 64

Reaction score
I have a 3GS that I have had for 2 years. I have always had a Otter Box on it until recently. Got tired of how bulky it was with the Otter Box. Well tonight I dropped my phone and cracked the screen. Now the home button does not work at all. I am stuck at where ever I was until somebody calls or texts me. I can still use the drop down menu. What would cause the home button not to work? I plan on fixing it if I can. Don't really have the money to upgrade phones right now and want to keep this one if I can.

Thanks for any and all help.

Dropping it and busting the screen has most likely damaged the tiny ribbon cable for the home button. Or, the drop dislodged the ribbon's connection on the logic board. Either way... you'll need to open up your phone for a repair.

Where is the best place to buy replacement parts? Also can I open it to see if I need a new cable without replacing the screen yet?

Here's a complete list of teardowns for the 3GS... iPhone 3GS Repair Manual - iFixit. Take a look through and see what you can find. iFixit.com also offers OEM replacement parts w/ a 6 month warranty. It's the only place that I recommend buying replacement iPhone parts. As they are true OEM Apple replacements.