What's new

Before I install 6.15 ipad baseband>>>

wattsworksllc

Reaction score
Good those of you that are using it giving me some opinions.

I have one of the first released 3gs and heard there were problems with the newer 3gs.
Are ya'll having trouble with your gps? does the maps still work?

My 3gs has been a play toy for so long, I need it to my phone again. I am not have att locally.
So trying to connect to UnionWireless in Wy.

Thanks for help.

From what I understand... but installing the iPad baseband you'll lose your GPS capability. Viewing maps and such will still work... but the ability for the network to position you on those maps is lost.

there's a great chance that your GPS won't work, at least you won't have an accurate position. i had such a 3GS for about 6mo and leaving the GPS aside, it worked great.

it is said that users with 3.1.3 and iPad baseband fixed their gps problems. wouldn't know, had not the posibility to downgrade :)

in my opinion: it's better to have such an iPhone rather than an expensive [not that expensive, by now :D] iPod

MIKE RU: Your right it is an IPOD. It has not been attached to a carrier or had any service accept for WIFI use for over 2 years.

I don't want to lose the WIFI capabilites.

I think first I'll update to 5.0.1 (currently have 4.3.5 baseband 5.16.2), see how it works then try the 6.15 baseband.

With this logic in mind. Should I upgrade using ITunes or is there a way to Upgrade while perserving the 5.16.2 baseband so I can later install the 6.15 bb?

Thanks for the help.

MIKE RU: Your right it is an IPOD. It has not been attached to a carrier or had any service accept for WIFI use for over 2 years.

I don't want to lose the WIFI capabilites.

I think first I'll update to 5.0.1 (currently have 4.3.5 baseband 5.16.2), see how it works then try the 6.15 baseband.

With this logic in mind. Should I upgrade using ITunes or is there a way to Upgrade while perserving the 5.16.2 baseband so I can later install the 6.15 bb?

Thanks for the help.

I don't encourage anyone to update to iPad Baseband.. :) It gives too much trouble. Esp. with new iPhone models.

@anup756: it depends on what you do with afterwards. i had many of those in my hands and managed them ok :) even yesterday, upgraded one from 4.1 to 5.0.1 with no problem.

@watsworksllc: it's better you did the upgrade and then apply the iPad baseband, just like you said. You won't lose the WiFi, only the GPS. At this point it is strictly
your decision wether you install the iPad baseband, or use it as an iPod with GPS :D

so, here it is:
you simply upgrade your iOS using iTunes. you'll have a baseband like 05.16.xx [don't know the actual number :D]

after this, if you have a SIM from the original network (the one the iPhone is locked into), you activate your iPhone.
if not, use redsn0w 0.9.9beta9d and jailbreak your iphone - it'll also do the hacktivation - and install the Corona untethered from Cydia.

this is how i would do it, because i'd rather did the jailbrake using redsn0w than sn0wbreeze. the actual untethered jailbreak with redsn0w 0.9.10 won't hacktivate your iPhone.

but if you want to do it with sn0wbreeze, create a custom ipsw and hacktivate your iPhone when building it.

@anup756: it depends on what you do with afterwards. i had many of those in my hands and managed them ok :) even yesterday, upgraded one from 4.1 to 5.0.1 with no problem.

Just a word of caution: Don't update your iphone with iPad Baseband if your iPhone is made after November 2010 (or models made after around the end of 2010) as for these phones updating the baseband will crash your baseband chip. I've heard that Apple has upgraded the new iphone 3gs (esp. 8GB ones) with the newly programmed Toshiba Baseband Chip. And yes, I've seen it myself. My friend's iPhone 3GS is piece of junk now. All it does is boots normally for sometime, says "restore is needed" and then reboots again. WiFi and Bluetooth buttons are grayed so you cannot turn it on, no Device ID, Blank IMEI number and whole lot of problems... So, make sure you look at the Device Serial Number carefully to find the build date.

Okay, decided to try updating my 3gs tonight. Went to itunes and updated. Got a code 21 can't update. Black screen.

Don't think I mentioned before but it was previously jail broken. I can get to apple screen on phone and it says on phone to conect to itunes.
I am currently downloading 5.0 software. but say it will take like 3 hours.

What i am doing wrong???? Help please.

wattsworksllc said:
Okay, decided to try updating my 3gs tonight. Went to itunes and updated. Got a code 21 can't update. Black screen.

Don't think I mentioned before but it was previously jail broken. I can get to apple screen on phone and it says on phone to conect to itunes.
I am currently downloading 5.0 software. but say it will take like 3 hours.

What i am doing wrong???? Help please.

You need to put your device in DFU mode before restoring.

Dont download 5.0, you cant use that. Need 5.0.1

What is the gps is that location finder for things like weather radar and Craig's list