What's new

Backing up Cydia apps?

Raven2490

Reaction score
Is there an easy way to back up ur cydia apps? so I wont have to wtrite down what I have to re-install after jailbreaking again?

Thanks in advance :)

Yes there is, there are a number of ways to do it.

The easiest it by using either Pkg Backup or BackToDeb. Both are available from Cydia. BackToDeb is free however.

It doesn't actually backup any files, it basically creates a list of all of the installed Cydia apps and backs that up either to Dropbox, or to a single contact on your phone, which can then be Sync'd to you iTunes in case you have to Restore in the future.

They work great.

You can also do it easily manually by ssh'ing into your device and creating the list using dpkg, it's less hassle to use one of the above apps though.

It's available on the insanelyi repository, which also has loads of other good tweaks.

Anyway, backtodeb is free, Pkg Backup is a paid for app but well worth it.

repo.insanelyi.com

First I need to clear something up, I couldn't recall the name of the 'other' app this morning, and a quick google brought me to BackToDeb. I was mistaken, I haven't tried this one at all.

The 'other' one that I have tried and know is free is called AptBackup. You should be able to do a basic Cydia search and find that one. Apologies.

Saying that, I haven't really used AptBackup too much, and that is because I found out about it after I purchased Pkg Backup.

They both do the same thing pretty much.

I like that Pkg Backup backs up to Dropbox, which is where I have a few other tools backing up to. That's a big plus for me, if you don't want to use Dropbox though you can just have it back up to a Contact in your phone, which ends up being called something like Pkg_Backup..... with a bunch of numbers. So that ultimately gets backed up in your Backup that you do when you plug your phone into iTunes.

Saying that, if I found out about AptBackup before PkgBackup I probably would just use that as it is free.

Of course, the third way is to do it manually by ssh'ing into your iphone, assuming you have OpenSSH installed.

ssh in and you can backup and restore the Cydia files using normal linux commands.

dpkg --get-selections > cydia_backup.txt

All of these should do the trick for you. It's all down to preference really, and if you are willing to pay $6 or $7 for Pkg Backup, rather than AptBackup which is free.

First I need to clear something up, I couldn't recall the name of the 'other' app this morning, and a quick google brought me to BackToDeb. I was mistaken, I haven't tried this one at all.

The 'other' one that I have tried and know is free is called AptBackup. You should be able to do a basic Cydia search and find that one. Apologies.

Saying that, I haven't really used AptBackup too much, and that is because I found out about it after I purchased Pkg Backup.

They both do the same thing pretty much.

I like that Pkg Backup backs up to Dropbox, which is where I have a few other tools backing up to. That's a big plus for me, if you don't want to use Dropbox though you can just have it back up to a Contact in your phone, which ends up being called something like Pkg_Backup..... with a bunch of numbers. So that ultimately gets backed up in your Backup that you do when you plug your phone into iTunes.

Saying that, if I found out about AptBackup before PkgBackup I probably would just use that as it is free.

Of course, the third way is to do it manually by ssh'ing into your iphone, assuming you have OpenSSH installed.

ssh in and you can backup and restore the Cydia files using normal linux commands.

dpkg --get-selections > cydia_backup.txt

All of these should do the trick for you. It's all down to preference really, and if you are willing to pay $6 or $7 for Pkg Backup, rather than AptBackup which is free.

Thanks to all that replied ... Exact info I as looking for... thanks a bunch for the reviews :)

All those methods only reinstall standard cydia apps.

Best way is to create a list of things to install and do it manually.

So I installed pkgbackup and had it backup to my dropbox account. If needed how do I get it from dropbox to my iphone?

So I installed pkgbackup and had it backup to my dropbox account. If needed how do I get it from dropbox to my iphone?

This is just too easy. Back it up do jailbreak, downgrade, etc. and restore and it puts everything back as it was. themes, icon placement on springboards, etc.

Well worth the cost to purchase. Saved countless resprings and searches in cydia for the list of items I maintained in a setup document I created for myself.

In order to upgrade, you would have to (on a jailbroken phone or ipod touch):

1. Install AptBackUp
  2. Run it
  3. Sync with iTunes in order for iTunes to back up your setup
  4. PWN or QuickPWN/resn0w ur iPhone with the new firmware
  5. Restore your settings
  6. Run Cydia to install AptBackUp again
  7. Run AptBackUp and click restore

This is just too easy. Back it up do jailbreak, downgrade, etc. and restore and it puts everything back as it was. themes, icon placement on springboards, etc.

Well worth the cost to purchase. Saved countless resprings and searches in cydia for the list of items I maintained in a setup document I created for myself.

After you jailbreak download the PKGBackup program only set it back up to see your dropbox account and look for the view restore if you want to select a earlier restore tap the small icon at the top under the packages and it will fetch your backup file listing. Select the one you want and press select at the bottom back at the main screen hit restore and wait. That's it.