What's new

Apple's Tim Cook in ABC Interview: Says iPhone Backdoor Would be 'Software Equivalent of Cancer'

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Reaction score
apple-tim-cook-abc-interview.jpg

Apple's Tim Cook was recently interviewed by ABC in reference to the developing battle between Apple and the FBI. For reference in case you missed earlier reports, the FBI is trying to secure a high level court order forcing Apple to purposefully create new software that would create a back door to the iPhone used by the shooters in the San Bernardino shooting.

On the surface, this seems like a reasonable request, and in fact, Apple has been cooperating with the FBI on this case in all other aspects. Apple has given the FBI access to the shooter's iCloud and any other Apple server based information. The reason why Apple is taking a hard-line stance on the hacking of the iPhone is far more complex than most people realize.

The way iOS security is currently designed, Apple does not even have the ability to get backdoor access to the phone once it has reached full lockdown mode. For Apple to gain this type of access their software engineers would literally have to create new software which would become a "Master Key" to unlock ALL iOS devices. In order to protect the integrity of their security on iOS, Apple has chosen to never do that.

Cook had this to say in the interview with ABC on this topic, "The only way to get information -- at least currently, the only way we know -- would be to write a piece of software that we view as sort of the software equivalent of cancer. We think it's bad news to write. We would never write it. We have never written it. And that is what is at stake here." He added, "If a court can ask us to write this piece of software, think about what else they could ask us to write. I don't know where this stops. But I do know this is not what should be happening in this country."

Cook also admitted that opposing the government's stance on this issue "doesn't feel right," and that it is a "very uncomfortable position." He goes on to express sympathy for the families of the victims of the San Bernardino shooting. He explains that he wishes that the FBI had contacted Apple before they (the FBI) changed the Apple ID password.

For further clarification, once the FBI had the shooter's iPhone they tried to access it but failed, which caused the phone to automatically create a new Apple ID password. Now the phone is basically locked down, and the only way to change it would be to erase everything on it. The FBI is using the high profile nature of this case to compel Apple into creating unlocking software that would invalidate all of the security measures they have created up to now.

In the ABC interview, Cook makes it clear this case is a much larger issue. It is about protecting the rights of American citizens through due process. He said, "What we do know is we passed all of the information that we have on the phone and to get additional information on it or at least what the FBI would like us to do now would expose hundreds of millions of people to issues."

Cook further explained, "No one would want a master key built that would turn hundreds of millions of locks. Even if that key were in the possession of the person that you trust the most, that key could be stolen. That is what this is about.” He then elaborated, "This case is not about one phone, this case is about the future. What is at stake here is ‘can the government compel Apple to write software that we believe would make hundreds of millions of customers vulnerable around the world, including the U.S.?’"

Apple's perspective is that according to current Federal law, there is no precedent or authority by which the FBI or the courts can compel a company to infringe upon the rights of American citizens. Cook's final argument is summed up, "But I do know this is not what should be happening in this country. This is not what should be happening in America. If there should be a law that compels us to do it, it should be passed out in the open, and the people of America should get a voice in that. The right place for that debate to occur is in Congress.”

Last edited:
I can't believe that more of the public isn't outraged at what the Government is trying to do... and then LYING about what they are trying to do. They aren't just trying to unlock this phone, but have permanent backdoors put in so they can unlock ANY phone ANY time they want, without a warrant!

What really steams my clams here is that the suspects are dead. We're not counting on this information to prosecute them, and even if they were alive, the phone isn't needed in the case. Its an obvious use of the keyword "terrorism" to get something they want for other purposes.

I can't believe that more of the public isn't outraged at what the Government is trying to do... and then LYING about what they are trying to do. They aren't just trying to unlock this phone, but have permanent backdoors put in so they can unlock ANY phone ANY time they want, without a warrant!
Most people don't understand. They see Apple protecting the terrorists and that's it. They have enough info.

My question is if Apple could just take this phone, crack it and get the info off the phone themselves. The phone never leaves Apple's possession and the gov't never even handles/see's the phone.

It's also not only about Apple. Every smartphone manufacturer that sells their products in the USA would be forced to do the same thing if they succeed in forcing Apple to create that back door. Once that happens, you'll have law enforcement agencies worldwide jumping on the bandwagon. It'll mean the end of digital security as we know it.

It's sad that the government is using this situation to try and bully Apple into giving them a "master key". I also think that Apple needs clearly tell everyone that they are willing to work with the courts on a case by case issue to get into phones that have gone through the legal process to legally open up a phone. Anyone that's against Apple on this doesn't understand that Apple will do it's best to crack into a phone with a court order and that's not what the issue is here. The issue is that our government isn't happy with that and they want direct access to phones whenever they want.

Most people don't understand. They see Apple protecting the terrorists and that's it. They have enough info.

My question is if Apple could just take this phone, crack it and get the info off the phone themselves. The phone never leaves Apple's possession and the gov't never even handles/see's the phone.
That would still require Apple to create that backdoor. Once created, hackers will do their utmost to try and steal it.

It's sad that the government is using this situation to try and bully Apple into giving them a "master key". I also think that Apple needs clearly tell everyone that they are willing to work with the courts on a case by case issue to get into phones that have gone through the legal process to legally open up a phone. Anyone that's against Apple on this doesn't understand that Apple will do it's best to crack into a phone with a court order and that's not what the issue is here. The issue is that our government isn't happy with that and they want direct access to phones whenever they want.
They want the freedom to go on the mother of all fishing expeditions. They'll use that backdoor on every iPhone that comes into their possession for whatever reason.

If Apple were the ultimate home locking company instead of a smartphone/tech company, would you be okay with them having a master key to half the houses in the country? Even if you trust Apple completely enough, there's still the possibility that bad guys could break in and steal their master key.

Also, the other issue is the slippery slope of the precedent which would be set. If Apple is compelled to do this in this instance, what's to stop the FBI to keep asking for more and more down the line?

Watch the ABC interview @cereal killer. I think you will come away without any doubts that Apple is doing the right thing.

If Apple were the ultimate home locking company instead of a smartphone/tech company, would you be okay with them having a master key to half the houses in the country? Even if you trust Apple completely enough, there's still the possibility that bad guys could break in and steal their master key.

Also, the other issue is the slippery slope of the precedent which would be set. If Apple is compelled to do this in this instance, what's to stop the FBI to keep asking for more and more down the line?

Watch the ABC interview @cereal killer. I think you will come away without any doubts that Apple is doing the right thing.
They could create said key and destroy it or come up with some type of other protocol. I don't think the FBI can ask for more and more once the phone is cracked. It's pretty much full access I'm assuming.

I watched it and I don't have any doubt that Apple is doing the right thing. I'm just tossing out possible alternative solutions if they lose this battle. I'm sure they are preparing for the worst here.

Again... the point isn't even the software itself. It's the legal precedent which will be set if Apple complies. It doesn't matter if they could create the key and then destroy it. The very act of creating it after being compelled unconstitutionally by the FBI is the main reason Apple is standing up in this fight.

I don't think they will lose this battle at this level. I suspect they would be willing to take it all the way to the Supreme Court if they need to. Here's another article which sheds more light on the situation from a different angle. (Keep in mind that the article is definitely editorializing, but its suggestion that the FBI deliberately setup this situation in order to set this legal precedent seems plausible.)

Apple: The FBI Should Ask the NSA to Hack Shooter’s iPhone

Any of the news stories I've heard are from pundits that don't even understand the technology behind what they're talking about. They just think Apple is being difficult and uncooperative .

If you voted for obama, give yourself a pat on the back for this intrusion into our privacy.