What's new

Apple Starts Selling Completely Unlocked SIM-Free iPhone 6, iPhone 6 Plus

RaduTyrsina

News Team
Reaction score
buy unlocked sim free iphone 6 iphone 6 plus.jpg

Apple has started selling contract-free iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus in retail stores and online completely unlocked. While it was previously possible to get an unlocked new iPhone without a SIM card, it was tied to T-Mobile and the customer had to call the carrier in order to deactivate it. But now, there's now need for that as Apple is selling the newest iPhones completely unlocked and SIM-free.

The pricing remains the same, with the 16 GB base model iPhone 6 costing $649 and the iPhone 6 Plus starting at $749. Unlocked iPhones can be activated for use on any carrier - AT&T, Sprint, Verizon or T-Mobile. So, now, if you plan to travel to a distant country, you can take your new iPhone with you and use whichever SIM you like to.

Source: Apple

We've had that for years in Canada, as all iphones and WiFi + cellular iPads ordered from the Apple online store in Canada are sold unlocked and SIM free.

Last edited:
Every iPad and iPhone I purchased from the Austrian Apple Store online the last two years was unlocked, and I had to organize the SIM myself.

We're lucky here too, We can buy an unlocked iPhone from day one.
We are free to use any network sim and Pay as you Go or Contract.

We have always had that option here in Ireland too; it's great to have the freedom of choice to choose any network when you buy an iPhone from the Apple store.

So how does this work in America? I have Verizon share plan with 2 iPhone 5. If I buy 2 IP6 from Apple do I just pull the sims out of the 5 & stick it in a 6, maybe notifying Verizon also?

And what about the Verizon plan? Doesn't the plan have built into it the price of the phone(s)? So would I be paying double? What does Verizon do if I have already bought the phone(s)?

So how does this work in America? I have Verizon share plan with 2 iPhone 5. If I buy 2 IP6 from Apple do I just pull the sims out of the 5 & stick it in a 6, maybe notifying Verizon also?

And what about the Verizon plan? Doesn't the plan have built into it the price of the phone(s)? So would I be paying double? What does Verizon do if I have already bought the phone(s)?
Once you buy the unlocked and SIM free iphone, you contact the carrier of your choice and either transfer your existing plan to the new phone or start a new plan. You can set up a contract or monthly plan.

I see, so I don't need the SIM. That clears up some of my confusion.

I see, so I don't need the SIM. That clears up some of my confusion.
You do need a SIM, either the SIM card from your old phone or a new SIM card from the carrier of your choice. SIM free means that the phones are sold without a SIM card and require you to obtain one before the phone can be activated.

I see, I misunderstood. But that makes more sense. Just move the SIM from one phone to another, and probably some changes at Verizon. Thanks...