What's new

Any way to tell iOS version from Serial #?

2631yoshi

Reaction score
Is there any way to tell what iOS version a phone has by any information on the box like the Serial #? I don't want to buy a phone that has 6.1.3 for obvious jb reasons.

Is there any way to tell what iOS version a phone has by any information on the box like the Serial #? I don't want to buy a phone that has 6.1.3 for obvious jb reasons.

Unfortunately, no. You'll have to buy the phone to find out the iOS version. Sorry.

Marilyn

Bummer. So can't even make a guess using the manufacturing date?

If you have the actual manufacturing date, you can maybe find out by matching it with iOS releases. Usually the batch of devices manufactured a week or so before an iOS would most likely come with that particular iOS, aka the latest. But that's not really the case all the time but generally what happens. But if you could selectively pick the device based on manufacturing date, do a bit of research on the iOS release date and try to get a device manufactured around the release date of the iOS.

If you get an understanding rep or talk your way through it, the rep can probably tell you what iOS is on the device when they look up the shipment/manufacturing date

From what I can tell, it was manufactured in the 44th week (November) of 2012. First 5 digits of my serial number from box: F17JM. I'm guessing it probably has 6.0 on it. Most definitely not 6.1.3. What do you think? Did I interpret the serial number correctly?

You really can't interpret based on serial on non-3GS devices. They don't give you a clue what the iOS is anymore since the manufacturing date isn't part of the serial anymore.

If you go here. http://ios.joshuaturner.co/
and enter the serial number, you can discover what iOS version your device had when it left the factory. Of course the previous owner could have updated the iOS more than once, since then.