What's new

Another ethical question...

XDRoX

Reaction score
Yesterday I started this thread:
http://www.iphoneforums.net/forum/jailbreak-applications-tweaks-70/not-paying-upgrades-games-48918/

I got the answer fast and then the thread got locked because this forum doesn't want to host discussions on illegal apps which I completely understand and support.

So this got me thinking of another question.
I understand that there are apps that allow you to make your iphone into a personal hotspot. If you call Verizon they want you to pay extra money in order to make a personal hotspot, but this app allows you to do it for free.

Is this sort of app legal? Ethical? Could one get in trouble for using such an app?

I assume it's OK to use because I see it posted on the forum from time to time but wanted to get some opinions.

Also I'm aware that Verizon now allows tethering for free if you subscribe to the new family plans and are on ios6, but my question is directed to those that still have unlimited plans and are tethering without paying the extra fee.

Thanks

Short answer: No, No, Yes.

Now for a proper answer.

This subject matter is actually very near and dear to my heart. Instead of retyping a lot of my thoughts on the subject I want you to read two posts starting here http://www.iphoneforums.net/forum/i...lets-separate-facts-fiction-40230/#post210677. The first one "Is jailbreaking illegal?" actually addresses some things that as Verizon customer you should be aware of because there a huge ramifications. The second post "Can cellular providers detect if you are tethering?" goes into the the technical side of your question but also addresses the much larger picture of the implications and now results from those that actually did it.

Thanks SO, I'll read those right now.

Wow, I had no idea Verizon doesn't allow people to JB.
All this time and reading all these threads I never heard that before. Shouldn't this be a huge warning on the directions for JB'ing?
When I read how to JB on this site I never saw that it was a violation of Verizon's contract. Maybe I just missed it???

I can count on one hand how many people in the Jailbreak community care about what the VZW's contract says. BTW, all cellular providers have that language in their contracts. I just happen to be a VZW customer, have that clause memorized and knew how to find it online to show it.

But hopefully you also noticed the reality I laid out. There have been no news reports in the last 3 years of a cellular provider invalidating a contract for using a "hacked" device on their network. In fact the only thing that has made the news is people that tether/use a very large amount of data (50+ gigs a month) and they were cut off. So the reality right now is that the cellular providers know that there are at least 3 other major providers where people can switch to. And with the advent of Facebook and Twitter they know that social media could destroy them if they decided to clamp done on the practice. Even thought it is in their contract and well within their legal right to enforce. So a one sided unspoken truce exists right now. The only question is, when will VZW or any cellular provider decide "enough is enough".

The day that happens will be a very interesting day for the public, cellular providers, the FCC and federal level judicial system that has to enforce the DMCA.

That makes perfect sense. Thanks for the info.
I'm about to switch to their new limited family plan any day now anyway.

I don't use anywhere close to 2GB a month and I want a slightly lower bill and unlimited texts and calling.

The new plan saves me $70 a month at present. Love it and wish they had introduced it sooner.

You can tether for free, right?
As long as you're on a family limited plan and are on ios6, right?

Tethering is important to me even though I hardly use any large amounts of data I want to be able to tether to my iPads and mini.

You can tether for free, right?
As long as you're on a family limited plan and are on ios6, right?

Tethering is important to me even though I hardly use any large amounts of data I want to be able to tether to my iPads and mini.

Under the Family Share Plan all iOS devices (iPhone and iPad) can now host the Personal Hotspot feature for free on iOS versions 5.1.1 and iOS 6.0 (only two I have personally tested).