What's new

All 2018 iPhones Likely to Have Face ID if it's “Well Received”

Maura

iPhoneForums.Net News Team
Staff member
Reaction score
All 2018 iPhones could have Face ID if it proves popular with iPhone X users.JPG

According to a new research note from KGI Securities analyst Ming-Chi Kuo, via MacRumors, Apple could replace Touch ID with Face ID on all 2018 iPhones, depending on how well the feature is received on the iPhone X. However, Apple could instead still decide to opt for under-display Touch ID sensors in next year’s iPhones if Face ID does not turn out to be popular on iPhone X and if Apple manages to perfect the under-display Touch ID solution that it almost used on the iPhone X this year.

Kuo says that should Apple decide to ditch Face ID in favour of Touch ID in 2018, or to include Touch ID alongside Face ID, then it will still have its work cut out trying to embed the Touch ID sensor under the display unless it solves previous issues with that system.

However, if Face ID is popular with users, then Apple will most likely abandon any thought of under-display Touch ID and bring Face ID to its entire iPhone line-up in 2018. We’ll have to wait and see until the iPhone X is finally released in November, but in the meantime, Apple is going all out to reassure the public about Face ID, with Craig Federighi telling Daring Fireball’s John Gruber recently that all concerns will just “melt away” once people start experiencing Face ID for themselves.

Source: Kuo: If Face ID is 'Well Received,' It's Likely 2018 iPhones Will Fully Adopt TrueDepth Camera

Nah. I am fine with my passcode. Comfortable and safe. An old fashion is better that way. :)

Until someone cracks that system, then what??? Old fashioned is not always the safest. I bet you have seat belts in your car [emoji594]

The law is that you must wear them also, not connect them behind your back.
Or the other way around it.

That l will not be writing about here.

Good news, in America, there is a new feature in iOS 11 where you can temporarily disable facial recognition and/or Touch ID by tapping the sleep/wake button 5 times in quick succession.

Can you point out to us we’re that snippet of information came from, please.

I’ve found a few sites stating that you disable Face ID by squeezing the Power and one Volume button for a short time. Pressing the Power button five times disables Touch ID, afaik.

And l do not understand the purpose of this. It leaves an iPhone to unprotected.
There is simply no security if you are posting this on an open forum. And this the latest and greatest iPhone of them all.

Come on people get a grip.

Now what l am willing to accept is, for example the owner of the iPhone 10 inserts their passcode. And then wishes to disable the Face ID thing and go back to using the password system.

How’s that work good. Comments here please [emoji336]

It’s not left unprotected, on the contrary.
The purpose of the procedures described above is to protect the iPhone. When you do this, you get to the lock screen, and it’s necessary to enter the passcode.
It’s as if you turn off your device, and start it again.

Last edited:
that’s more like it now. I wish sometimes people would tell the full story

And l do not understand the purpose of this. It leaves an iPhone to unprotected.
There is simply no security if you are posting this on an open forum. And this the latest and greatest iPhone of them all.

Come on people get a grip.

Now what l am willing to accept is, for example the owner of the iPhone 10 inserts their passcode. And then wishes to disable the Face ID thing and go back to using the password system.

How’s that work good. Comments here please [emoji336]

You misunderstand, it prevents the phone from being unlocked with anything but the passcode. Here in America they can force you to use a fingerprint or facial ID, but cannot compel you to use your passcode to unlock your phone. This feature protects your privacy.

You misunderstand, it prevents the phone from being unlocked with anything but the passcode. Here in America they can force you to use a fingerprint or facial ID, but cannot compel you to use your passcode to unlock your phone. This feature protects your privacy.

Thanks l understand how the system works now.
I just could not imagine the iPhone 10 being so easy to crack by someone who has stolen it, for example.
A full explanation was not given.