What's new

4G speed on iPhone 4!

Genocamali

Reaction score
I found this by mistake but figured out how to get 4G speeds (4.44Mbs down/1.58 Up verfied by speed test app) by changing your Att data plan to 4G for an android. I just bought the iPhone 4 white and had all the iPhones before so I wanted to change for a little. A week later on eBay I bought a Atrix and used it with a sim adapter then a day after using it I got a text from Att to call and change my plan to 4G. Well I did and I decided that the Atrix isn't for me. I put my micro sim back into the white iPhone and my service acted funky(failing and dropping packets). Didn't have time to call Att to change back to iPhone plan. Then a few days later I went to download something and it downloaded at rocket speed so I figured I'm on wifi. Nope!! Turns out it said 3G!(I turned off wifi to double check)!!! Now I have 4G speeds on my 3G iPhone! If anyone wants proof I will post my results from speed test app!!! Please someone try it too and let me know I'm not the only one! 4G speed to all!!!!

Isn't HSPA (which I believe is a 3G standard) capable of speeds up to 7.2Mbps?

Is it possible that AT&T performed some network upgrades in your area recently?

Test Date: Jun 12, 2011 12:50 AM
Connection Type: Cellular
Server: Secaucus, NJ
Download: 4.44 Mbps
Upload: 1.58 Mbps
Ping: 262 ms

External IP: 166.137.138.51
Internal IP: 10.139.174.254
Latitude: 40.7279
Longitude: -74.0004

No upgrades have been preformed in my area, this only started happening after I changed my plan. I also had a friend with an iPhone 4 next to me try it and he got 1.5 Down/.5 up.

I also tried it in an area with out 4G and it was slow.

121020815.png

I'm not trying to convince people that iPhone 4 is 4G. Rather, I think that your phone is running a different data plan that isn't restricted by ATTs guidelines for limiting the iphone's potential speed. By changing this plan they may allow more speed cause they aren't as concerned about the traffic since iPhone has such a big share of data transfer.

3G is certainly capable of those kind of speeds. I think 7.2mbps is as fast as you can go on 3G (HSPA)...

3G is certainly capable of those kind of speeds. I think 7.2mbps is as fast as you can go on 3G (HSPA)...

Sorry if I'm going out of topic maybe. If 3G goes 7.2mbps what is or can be the top speed on a good wifi connection?

According to apple the iPhone 4 supports 802.11b, 802.11g and 802.11n frequencies. 802.11n being the fastest can support speeds of over 100mbps...

According to apple the iPhone 4 supports 802.11b, 802.11g and 802.11n frequencies. 802.11n being the fastest can support speeds of over 100mbps...

That's fast. I don't get even the 1/3 of that speed on my iPhone even on wifi and I'm having an 802.11n protocol on my wifi router, also my my Internet speed is an ADSL. I'm always at 200kb/s while downloading stuff using the phone, where is the rest of the speed going?

Neither do I. My phone line is capable of speed of up to 8mbps according to my ISP. Im only getting about 3mbps. There are alot of factors that determine speed.

We're waiting on the fiber optic cables going in. When they do we will be able to get speeds of over 50mbps...

The iPhone 4 is the one that's out now.

Im 99% certain the next iPhone (iPhone 5) won't be 4G...