What's new

3GS downgrade from 6.0.1

Ironron

Reaction score
I have searched the forum for instructions on how to downgrade firmware on my son's 3gs which was jailbroken in the past, but with no success. I

I'm a newbie at this and have tried using redsn0w to select IPSW

iPhone2,1_6.0.1_10A523_Restore. In really not quite sure if this is right.

I really dont know which was the original software.

I've been at this for days but am really struggling.
Need help

You cannot downgrade an iOS without first having the SHSH blobs saved for the iOS that you're looking to downgrade to. If the device in question was not previously jailbroken and that this is the first time you've ever heard of SHSH blobs, then you probably don't have them saved, meaning your son's iPhone can only be kept at the current iOS or restored to the latest, which is 6.1.

Device has been jailbroken and you can probably tell I dont know much about SHSH blobs. It was recently upgraded to latest to 6.0.1 and since the gives the error
"your iphone could not be activated because the activation server is temporarily unavailable. Try connecting your iphone to itues to activate it............."

Unfortunately itunes gives me a similar message "we are unable to continue with your activation at this time"

Will this phone ever work again

Your device was probably unlocked using a software unlock like UltraSn0w from Cydia. It's easily fixed if you follow directions carefully. Before we start, I'll need to confirm the following:
  • Current iOS
  • Is the device currently jailbroken
  • What is the first 2 letters of your device's model number (MB or MC). This can be found in Settings.app > General > About > Model
  • What is the original carrier of your device
  • What is the carrier on the SIM card currently in your device.

Many thanks for your help but since I cannot get it past the setup screen which asks for language, country etc.
I believe it has been jailbroken and Is model numberA1303
Original carrier was orange and now trying to use O2

You'll need to unlock it. The model number should start with MB or MC. This will determine whether or not we can use a software unlock on your device. Download RedSn0w below. Choose the OS that matches your computer.

Windows:https://sites.google.com/a/iphone-dev.com/files/home/redsn0w_win_0.9.15b3.zip?attredirects=0&d=1

OSX:https://sites.google.com/a/iphone-dev.com/files/home/redsn0w_mac_0.9.15b3.zip?attredirects=0&d=1

Plug in your iPhone, go to RedSn0w > Extras > Even More > Identify. Make sure your iPhone is at the activation screen.

Then look for the Model number. Again, it should start with either MB or MC. I'll need all of it, meaning MB123456 as an example.

Last edited:
MC means that your device is a new bootrom. That means you cannot flash the iPad baseband on it or you'll brick your device. Next, check what your Modem Firmware is. This should be in the format of XX.XX.XX. In RedSn0w it should say Modem Firmware or Baseband. It should look something like 05.1X.0X.

FirmwareVersion: iBoot-1537.4.21
BasebandVersion: 06.15.00

Your son's device is already flashed to the iPad Baseband. If you want to downgrade your device, you'll need the SHSH blobs for the iOS that you want to downgrade to. Create a custom IPSW by first stitching the blobs with the IPSW, then use that stitched IPSW to preserve the baseband. Both IPSW creating will be done in RedSn0w > Extras > Custom IPSW or SHSH Blobs. Or, you can use the Restore feature in RedSn0w > Extras > Even More > Restore and it will do BOTH of those processes together.

Many thanks for your patience but the last one sort of lost me.
I tried to use the extras>extras in redsn0w to restore but only the ipsw is highlighted. Blobs are not available. When I select ipsw it looks for an ipsw file.
When I said I wanted to downgrade, I just want to be able to use The phone again.

Again I must thank you for your patience.

? Wait so what's wrong with the device o_O

I was under the impression that there was some dislike for iOS 6 and we wanted to downgrade to iOS 5 or something. I don't see any specific problems from reading the previous posts.

EDIT: Ah. My mistake. Zooming through this on my iPhone and I missed it. We're at the stage where we can't get our iPhone activated.

Very simple solution. Run RedSn0w as an administrator, click on Jailbreak. Put your 3GS into DFU mode. When you're approached with a list of tickboxes, tick ONLY deactivate and click Next. After your device reboots, you should be on your springboard.

Last edited:
Missing keys. Plist data for this build
Build: iPhone2,1_6.0.1_10A523