What's new

1015 error

mike1

Reaction score
Can anyone recommend a step by step in this procedure?

Last edited:
Go to Download iOS Firmware and download a 4.1 firmware file for your device and then in iTunes hold down shift and hit restore and then select the 4.1 firmware file you downloaded.

If you are getting error 1015 that means you are blocking Apple's verification severs in your hosts file.

Go to Download iOS Firmware and download a 4.1 firmware file for your device and then in iTunes hold down shift and hit restore and then select the 4.1 firmware file you downloaded.

Is it advisable to do a DFU before the shift + restore?

As far as blocking Apple's verification severs in my hosts file, would that be because I followed an "edit host" directive which later someone said here, was not a good idea. So how can I correct that? I think I read somewhere that deleting any lines with "Apple" included would solve those types of problems.

Yes, you should restore in DFU mode and you don't have to block Apple's servers, 4.1 is still being signed for 3Gs so there's no need to. You shouldn't have any lines with gs.apple.com in your hosts file, that is what will give you error 1015.

Thanks, thats what I needed to hear. I'll delete the apple lines in host file, then retry the downgrade in the morning. I'm determined to make this work. :)Thanks again.

OK this is what I've done.
1- Entered DFU mode
2-In itunes hit shift + restore
3-Select the 4.1 firmware I downloaded from link in topic
4-Press restore button
5- It says it will restore firmware to 4.1 and goes through all the preparing iphone, restoring iphone etc.
6-Says cannot restore blah blah blah 1015 error.
7- gives me the option to restore original firmware...so I do...and it does right back to 4.3.5

I'm kinda at a loss here. This should be working, but isnt.

Yeah I failed to mention that earlier, but I had deleted them. After it reloaded the original firmware (4.3.5) the apple lines returned. So I deleted them again and repeated the process and still get 1015. Let me ask this, is there any other way to downgrade other than the itunes methode? Maybe in TU? Or am I destined to wait for a 4.3.5 fix?

If they were there again when you checked that means you didn't save the file after you deleted them. Keep in mind you have to run notepad in administrator mode in order to save the file after you remove the gs.apple.com lines.

And no, there is no other way to downgrade, until you delete those lines and save the file you won't be able to upgrade or downgrade.

Also, there will never be an untethered jailbreak for 4.3.5.

Well, I'm not exactly sure what you mean by running notepad in administrator mode, but in user accounts, I am listed as computer administrator. If there's something else I need to do...I'm listening. Just curious if everyone else has had to go through all this? Appreciating the effort J.

On a side note, during the cycle of restoring original s/w, towards the end it asks if I want to restore to original s/w (which brings it back to 4.3.5) or set up as new iphone. What happens if I setup as new iphone?

Last edited:
Well, I'm not exactly sure what you mean by running notepad in administrator mode, but in user accounts, I am listed as computer administrator. If there's something else I need to do...I'm listening. Just curious if everyone else has had to go through all this? Appreciating the effort J.

The easiest way to do this is to go into your start menu, right-click on Windows Explorer, and choose to run THAT as Adminstrator (it's not the same as just being an administrator on the computer). Then, from Windows Explorer, find the "hosts" file, double click it, and choose to open it with Notepad. You will then be able to edit and save it because you have elevated privileges.

The easiest way to do this is to go into your start menu, right-click on Windows Explorer, and choose to run THAT as Adminstrator (it's not the same as just being an administrator on the computer).

I dont think that is an option in Windows XP. That is a Windows Vista and Windows 7 option. Suppossedly Windows Xp grants those privelages automatically when sign in as computer admin. Maybe an XP user can verify that. As I stated earlier, the host file is clear of anything "apple" before I start the restore process. I've seen videos on this same matter of the "1015 code" and there seems to be additional programs to D/L to fix the 1015 problem. Just not sure what to do at this point.

Last edited:
You are correct. It was an assumption since the Operating System was never mentioned, and you stated you weren't sure how to do it. If you are on XP you should be free to manage your hosts file yourself.

Last edited:
Last edited: